𝐧𝐨 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞

You had loved Steve ever since he lent you his jacket.

Being one of the lesser known people attending Hawkins High, you never expected to become friends with Steve 'The Hair" Harrington. You thanked God for your irritating freshmen math teacher, who paired you up with him for a beginning of the year 'get to know you' project.

If not for that annoyingly snooty teacher, you never would've met Steve. He was quite the jackass, but still a sucker for the constant kindness you bombarded him with at every corner. You became fast friends - he was actually your first highschool friend, and you cherished that. You had always been sentimental.

On one of the coolest Spring days, you and Steve had been walking around town when you suddenly felt a chill. Almost immediately after seeing you shiver, Steve took off his jacket and wrapped it around your shoulders.

"We're close to the place anyway. Shut up and take the coat."

You weren't anywhere near your destination. You began to fall in love the minute the fabric of his outerwear hit your goosebump covered skin.

Sophomore year rolled around, and even though Steve was becoming more popular fast, your friendship didn't change. It was only in Junior year, when Nancy was introduced into your best friend's life, that things began to shift. Nancy came first - you understood that at the beginning fo the relationship, but after a year you were a bit put off when it didn't change.

Nancy, in your mind, mattered more to Steve than you. He always did things for her before you, thought of her before you, put her above you in ways you didn't even think would bother you until you were faced with it. It was like a nightmare - being in love with your best friend was one thing, but loving them whilst they loved someone else was just pure torture.

You reflected on all of this as you sat in the bathroom stall of the Starcourt Mall, having just puked the drugs out of your system. You were exhausted, but still you were aware of the things you'd said to Steve while under the influence.

"Steve-o, you never knew!"

"Why are you singing? You are a horrible singer."

"You never knew that I loved you!"

"Wait, what?"

You'd laughed it off then like it was nothing, just an odd comment from a girl that was obviously not in control of her own actions. But now, you just knew Steve was thinking about it, working up the balls to ask -

"Y/N, did you mean it?"

Here we go.

You sighed, unsure of how to respond. What in the hell were you supposed to say? Confess? Or deny it? Steve knew you too well to believe a lie about something so important, so there was only one real option.

"Yea. I did," I whispered, hoping Steve had heard my weak admission so I didn't have to repeat it.

"You love me?" He replied, his voice a confusing between shock and anxiety.

You chuckled bitterly, and stared up at the chipping white paint on the ceiling. "That's the only surprising thing I've said all night, so yeah. That's what I'm talking about."

The bathroom was so silent that you felt like bursting out into tears. Steve's lack of response broke your heart, because you knew he was only not talkative when there was something he didn't quite want to say. Steve was your best friend. Of course he didn't want to reject you.

Neither of you spoke until Dustin, Robin and Erica stormed the bathroom, and you had a feeling nothing would be the same.

•••