𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐚𝐥

YOU WERE DRIFTING OFF UNTIL YOU SAW HIM.

you recognized him as the lifeguard at the pool when you went last saturday - tall, blonde, and positively gorgeous. you moved to hawkins with your older sister in late june for her new job - your parents died in a car accident a while ago, and now it was just the two of you. all that to say that was why you'd never seen him before, but still you could tell he was pretty popular with the ladies around town.

needless to say, you stood up straight the minute you saw his blonde curls and swallowed hard. he already had on a hollywood-esque smile, and you were already swooning.

"hi, welcome to scoops ahoy. what can i get'cha?" you asked, trying not to sound too chipper. that even annoyed you when you forced it for customers. he leaned against the counter, and eyed the ice cream choices in the display case.

"what do you recommend, dollface?"

the nickname made you blush, so you quickly kneeled down and pretended to be looking at the options. what did you think he would enjoy? "what flavors do you like? chocolate, caramel, mint, etc." you peered up at him through the glass and noticed that he was staring down at you with a smile, different than the one he'd entered with.

"i like anything. seriously, just choose whatever you like. you seem like a pretty sensible girl."

you stood, ready to recommend the u.s.s butterscotch, when you felt a presence behind you. "yeah, she is. which is why i'm sure she knows better than to fall for your flirting tactics."

steve. you and him had gotten pretty close while working together, so you were unsure why he was all the sudden acting like a complete and utter dick. you turned to tell him to back off, but the boy did it for you.

"damn, harrington. are you seriously gonna do this right now? i'm just asking the girl what flavor she likes," he defended, sending you a sly wink. you rolled your eyes, but felt some heat rise to your ears. for some reason, you could sense steve becoming more and more angry.

"you wanna know what the best flavor is? i can recommend this one for you : i'll-rock-your-shit-road," steve threatened, slowly inching in front of you. you were shocked by this sudden display of pure testosterone from him; steve was usually a pretty calm, laidback guy.

"oh, really? i've heard that mint-your-own-business is better," he replied, sending you a small smile. you could tell steve was taking this a bit more seriously, and you couldn't help but burst out laughing. i can tell they're no longer talking about ice cream, you thought.

"children, children! what the hell is going on here!" you exclaimed, clutching your stomach as it began to hurt as you let out spurts of giggles. both boys turned to you - steve with a frustrated look, and the blonde with a smug grin.

"i just don't want you getting involved with billy. he's bad news, and you're... nice. too nice for him," steve explained, jerking his head toward the boy, who you now knew was named billy. you stifled a laugh as billy rolled his eyes, and you gave steve an incredulous look.

"steve, i'm just recommending ice cream flavors! i promise, nothing is happening between billy and i except me doing my job. and he's right, you should try some of mint-your-own-business," you joked, raising an eyebrow as your coworker slowly backed up into the break room.

"sorry about that, billy. now, i recommend the u.s.s butterscotch."

••

well, your promise turned out to be broken. steve found that out all too quickly when a week later, he came in late to work to find you, on your break, making out with billy.

"what the fuck!" he shouted, causing you to jump off of billy in a split second. you weren't really scared that he'd be upset - if anything, he'd probably just think it was gross. billy wasn't fazed in the slightest - he simply buttoned up his shirt, and sat there, staring at steve in a 'what are you gonna do' sort of way.

"listen, steve, this isn't what it looks like -"

"how could this not be what it looks like? it looks like billy is trying to get inside of my friend's pants!" steve exclaimed, throwing his scoops ahoy hat to the floor. you sent billy a quick glance and he stood, walking toward you.

"well, then it is certainly what it looks like. why can't i kiss my girlfriend?"

the room went silent. you took billy's hand behind his back and stared back at steve awkwardly as he studied the two of you.

"you've gotta be fucking kidding me. you're dating him?"

you took a few cautious steps toward your friend, internally cursing yourself for not being more careful. you'd wanted to tell steve about you and billy, you really had, but you knew he'd react badly. however, nothing could be worse than simply walking in on it.

"look, steve. i wanted to tell you. but i knew you'd freak out, and i just didn't want you guys to fight anymore. you're acting like little kids, both of you."

steve closed his eyes, no doubt trying to coach himself out of the rage fit he was about to have. billy, on the other hand, gave you a look and furrowed his eyebrows. "how am i acting like a kid? he's acting like a kid! you're being unfair."

"i'm acting like a kid? you're the one who always throws petty insults at me!"

"oh, really? who was the one who said he wanted to recommend 'i'll-rock-your-shit-road''? well, come on then! let's go outside, and you can scoop me some."

before the two could get close enough to do some damage, you put your hands on their chests and tried to force down the laughter that was bubbling up your throat.

"will you calm down? steve, i'm sorry i didn't tell you before, but billy is my boyfriend. i like him, a lot. and billy, you making aggressive ice cream puns really isn't diffusing the situation."

steve stared at you, and then stormed off outside to no doubt begin taking orders. what a sticky situation indeed.