𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

YOU KNOCKED THREE TIMES BEFORE THE DOOR TO WILL'S HOUSE FINALLY OPENED, EACH INCREASING IN VOLUME.

"what is - oh, y/n! so nice to see you!" joyce greeted, her face softening when she saw it was just you. you shuffled into the house as she stepped aside, chuckling awkwardly.

"sorry for the initial reaction, sweetie. i'm expecting a visit from hopper, and you know how he is," she explained, walking into the kitchen to no doubt prepare some hot pockets for you and will.

you laughed as you reflected on the unpredictable relationship between your best friend's mother and the chief of hawkins police. you'd been around since day one - through all the 'upside down' schemes, and most of all, you'd been there for will. you were his best friend, after all.

"that's alright, ms. byers. where's will?" you asked, already on your way to his room. joyce turned toward you and nodded, knowing where you were headed.

you scurried down the hallway and to will's door, knocking twice, waiting a moment, and then knocking twice more. that was the secret pattern, so that he knew it was just you.

"come in," you heard, softly. you turned the doorknob and entered his room, greeted by the usual cleanliness and maybe a shirt or two strewn on the floor. with a wide smile, you rushed forward and enveloped your best friend in a hug. you hadn't seen him in two weeks, since you'd been at camp. he was the first person to call you once you got back, and he immediately invited you over.

"i missed you, coconut-head," you teased, ruffling will's bowl cut. you always made fun of him for it, but you secretly thought it was a haircut that fit will, and you wouldn't like to see him without it. will smiled back, though you could tell it wasn't 100% genuine.

"i missed you a lot, too. mike and lucas are being kinda annoying, since they have girlfriends and all," will confessed, pushing his beanbag chair toward you so that you could sit. you collapsed into it while he settled into his bed.

"oh, don't worry about them. max and eleven are nice, but soon they'll miss being true party members. speaking of, we could play d&d if you want," you offered, glancing around will's room to see if he still had the game lying around.

will scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and gave you an odd look. "that... that kinda brings me to what i wanted to tell you. remember, i said i had something i wanted to say, over the phone?" you nodded slowly, sensing that something serious was becoming the topic of conversation.

"well... uh. i started to, um. i don't know how to say this. i think he's back." will's voice was wavering, and his eyes had become wide with fear. everything about this moment that could've been remotely joyful had just taken a sour turn, and you suddenly felt the need to crawl over to him and just hug him tight.

"who? who's back, will?" you asked, urgently. he shifted his gaze to the ground, and wiped his eyes on the back of his hand. you stood, walking over to the bed and sitting by will's side.

"the mind flayer. he's back, y/n. i can feel it. and i'm scared. so, so scared."

your heart froze. how could that disgusting monster be back? he had caused will and everyone close to him so much pain, especially when you had to watch that horrifying exorcism of him from will's body. you shuddered just to think about it, but you then imagined how hard it must be for will.

"do you believe me?" will whispered, finally looking up at you to see your confused expression. you immediately nodded, and placed your hands on will's shoulders.

"of course, will. of course."

that was when the unthinkable happened - will started to cry. but it wasn't just a few sparse tears, no, it was a waterfall, of all the emotions he'd kept locked in a box, buried deep beneath everything else. he had to be okay, he had to be normal, he had to be this, or that. he couldn't just be will - scared, helpless will. and it brought him down.

you tugged will close to you and he burrowed his face into the crook of your neck, shaking as he sobbed. you wrapped your arms around him and let him cry, letting out a few tears yourself.

"it's gonna be okay. we won't let anything happen to you. i won't let anything happen to you," you whispered, rubbing will's back. he continued to cry until he had let it all out, and then he just let you hold him. it would've been a nice moment if not for the impending doom that came with knowing the mind flayer was back.

it felt as if the two of you could stay like this forever, so, somehow, when will finally pulled away, you weren't surprised when he kissed you. it was small, but so much more than insignificant, and so much more than a peck. your stomach fluttered with the wings of a thousands monarchs, and your hands drifted up his neck.

"whoa. was not expecting that."

your head snapped toward the door so fast that your forehead hit will's. standing in the doorway, with an annoying smirk on his face, was jonathan. will flushed cherry red and stomped toward the door.

"what the hell, jonathan!" he shouted, slamming the door. his older brother just cackled as he walked away, leaving you and your best friend blushing madly as you stared awkwardly at each other.

"well... uh... that was... i kinda liked it," you admitted, half smiling. you hoped will would have the same reaction, and your heart soared when he did.

"yeah. i've been wanting to do that for a long time, actually." your eyes went wide as will came to sit next to you, sliding his hand toward yours. you took it, and the two of you sat hand in hand, you processing his words.

"so... you like me?"

will grinned. "if that's not super clear by now, yes. yes, i like you. i've liked you for a while."

you swiped a piece of hair behind your ear and let out a quiet giggle, averting your eyes from will's. "i like you too, will."

"well, i guess i'm not the only one in the group without a girlfriend now."

will always felt helpless, but with you around, he could be strong.