Chapter 1 -- Beginning

6. August 2020

***

Cold.

I sat up and looked around, why am I freezing? Turns out I had kicked my blanket on the floor again. I climbed down and put the blanket back to it's place. 

My little sister, June, was peacefully sleeping at the bottom of the bunk bed, I got the top 'cause she's afraid of heights. The clock on the nightstand next to her said 8.34 am, so mum's already gone work.

She works as a designer for a store with a minimum wage, but it was the best she got. I used to work there too, before I resigned just a few days ago.

I changed into some plain day clothes that I usually wear, gray trousers, black shoes and a white shirt. 

"June, June wake up" I kneeled beside the bed and tried to shake her awake.

"What?"

"Change your clothes, I'll make us some breakfast"

"But I'm tired!"

*

I took some bread and few glasses. June came and sat to the dining table. We live in a rather small apartment, one bedroom, kitchen and livingroom are together and a small bathroom.

"What would you wanna do today?"

"Today? Before you leave?"  June turned to stare at an old envelope that was laying on the table.

Grandpa had given the envelope to me few years ago for my birthday. He had said that I'll know when I can finally read it. That never really happened but after few incidents that had happened lately, I had desided to look if there would be any help.

The envelope held the deed to the farm where Grandpa used to live years ago. He absolutely loved the farm and the town, I had even spent few summers there with mum when I was little, and now he's giving it all to me. 

"Yeah, I could get us ice creams?"

We don't usually spend time or money on anything like that, mum and I are at work and all the money usually goes to the rent but I felt bad for leaving them alone. I will send them money and letters every week and I know that'll help their life here more than if I was in the city.

*

"What favor do you want?"

"Chocolate" June answered after she had checked the list on the side.

I bought us one chocolate and one strawberry ice creams and we sat on few benches that were just beside a small river.

"Mum will come to pick us up"  I told after she had finished her ice cream.

She came quickly after that and we got in the car. June went to the back seat and I sat to the front next to mum. She told that she had already gotten my case from home so we can go straight to the bus stop.

The drive was pretty quiet, the radio was broken so it wasn't much of a use and no one seemed to really be on a mood to talk. We arrived in about 10 minutes, which is actually pretty rare in a huge city like Zuzu.

I got out and took the case and my backpack from the car's back. The bus driver put the case to the storage and I turned to mum and June, who had followed me from the car.

"I'm going to miss you so much" June looked like she was about to cry, she's really strong and clever, kind of the opposite of me. I can't watch her cry, I'll break down if she will.

I bend down and hugged her. 

"You and mum are going to be okay. I'm going to send you letters every week and you can come and maybe visit me some time"

She seemed to like that idea and I turned to mum.

"Here"

She took a small box out of her pocket and opened it. There was a beautiful silver necklace which she took and put it around my neck.

"It's from your grandpa. He said I can give it to you when you open the envelope"

 "Thank you"

"I'll miss you"

"Bus leaves in two minutes" The driver called and hopped into the bus.

"I'll miss you too"

I gave them both last hugs and got into the bus just before the doors closed.

I sat on the firs row and tried to kill the time the best I could. The bus driver apparently likes to sing along with the bus' barely working radio and decided to show all of us - which isn't really much - his great talent.

I tried my best to ignore the noise and ended up to examine the necklace mum gave.

It was a fairy, really beautiful one. But it's position was kind of wierd. It looked like she was holding something, but there weren't anything. Is it broken?

I turned it around, and there was something written on it's back. There was a line of some writing I couldn't recognize, and a sentence in a rather beautiful writing. 

"To protect you"

***

Re-writed 

Hope you liked it <3