Chapter 9

"So Alex, how old are you?" Cole asked whilst playing with his straw.
Damian sipped on his mocha and replied with a curt, "16"
"Really? So am I. I'm starting to think that this is fate," by this point, Cole was not holding back in trying to charm his waiter.
"Fate says that you have to pay up after you finish that caramel frappe," it was a shame that said waiter knew how to easily brush of flirts, considering his other job.
"But I have to ask, why's a sixteen year old guy like you working in a coffee shop?"
"To pay rent."
"Rent? Don't you have a family to do that? Shouldn't you be at school or something?"
Damian stiffened at the question. He thought about getting up and leaving but something about the guy made him want to spill his entire life story to him. Instead, he replied with:
"I don't have any family and I could ask you the same thing."
Cole was thrown off guard.
'This guy is just like me,' he thought to himself.
"Sorry, that was a little insensitive. For what it's worth, I'm like you. My mom passed and for a while, it was just me and my dad. I learnt to cook and pay rent to try to fill my mom's role but in the end, dad ended his own life. Guess I wasn't important enough to stay alive for."
Cole laughed bitterly after his small rant.
"I'm...sorry. For bringing it up, that is," 'Shit Damian, you just had to dampen the mood, urgh.'

"No no, it was me who started it. It may have brought up some bad memories but in a way, I'm glad I did. Now we know that we have a lot in common and I think we are meant to meet. We understand each other, y'know what I mean?"

Damian chuckled. Yeah, they did understand each other and it just felt so right to be with Cole. He didn't really judge and he seems to know how to lighten the mood which is perfect since Damian only seems to darken it each time. Plus, he wasn't overly friendly and knew how to keep his distance.

"Forgive me if this sounds a little insensitive, Alex, but I have a feeling that you've been hurt a lot in life."

To say that Damian was a little shocked was quite an understatement. He had thought that he had masked his feelings well enough. But again, he answered what he really felt:

"Yeah, I used to know how to build up walls but they ended up crumbling down. Now I'm just a broken fortress and a king without a crown," by the time Damian had finished talking, he wore a bitter smile. They sat in awkward silence for a minute when Cole decided to open his mouth again.

"Then let me help you."

He could not help the way his eyes widened when his companion said such words, nor could he control his jaw that hung limp as his lips parted in silent wonder.

"If you have me by your side, we can rebuild our palace walls together. The sky hurts when it falls but this time, we could make a palace that may never be penetrated. We can reclaim our crowns and we can be kings again. But only if you are willing to rule by my side."

Rewind to previous night, Cole POV

Damn, if someone had told me that Robin would be that hot, I would have looked for him much earlier. He was kinda cute too, maybe I should try to ask him out if we see each other again. But right now, I have to look for Bane. I think he went this way. I turned into an alleyway and... no one. There was no one in the stupid alley. How the fuck did I manage to lose someone like Bane?!

Well this night sucks, let's just go home. I think the heroes are coming.

Time skip to 13:30 next day cus Rio was too lazy to think of Cole's home life

Last night was shit. Well, except meeting that cute little birdie.

I wandered around in my neighborhood. It's not much but it's not overrun by major criminals either. After wandering around for about 10 minutes, I saw a cafe called The Cozy Beans. It was pretty basic and a little rustic but quite homey, in a sense. It's tucked away so it must not get that much publicity.

When I entered the shop, I laid eyes on the most gorgeous person I have ever seen. His hair was in a messy plait, laying limp behind his back. The deep colour of his tan matched the wisps of black hair that framed it, making the guy look cute. His eyes were sharp and a deep blue. The type that I wouldn't mind drowning in.

My mind went back to Robin from last night. I don't like to cheat on people. If I set sights on someone, they'll be the only ones in my eyes. But something about this guy made me feel that it was okay to go for him.

Rio here,
Sorry about the late update. This was actually complete for a while now but needed proofreading. I was too lazy to do that so I extended it as an apology.