Chapter 2-Gilraen's Memorial (Edited)

The garden was so peaceful. Not a sound could be heard besides the whisper of the wind in the leaves. Aragorn knelt before a statue of a woman, a beautiful memorial to a cherished loved one. He wiped away the foliage that had gathered on the grave stone to reveal the age-old writing underneath.

Onen i-Estel Edain, ú-chebin ester anim (I gave hope to the Dúnedain, I have kept none for myself)

"Who was she?"

Aragorn was startled by the voice that had spoken from behind him. He turned around to find Salandiel hiding in the shadows of the trees, only half of her face being illuminated by the soft moonlight. The light almost made her look ethereal. Almost, if weren't for that scar. And Salandiel knew this.

"Her name was Gilraen," replied Aragorn with a mournful smile.

Silence ensued and Salandiel did not say a word knowing that he had more on his heart to share. She could feel his sorrow, the weight that was heavy upon his shoulders.

Aragorn turned back to the statue.

"She was my mother," continued Aragorn sadly, "After my father, Arathorn, was slain, she brought me here so that I could be raised among the elves."

Salandiel walked slowly towards where Aragorn was kneeling and looked over his shoulder to see the carvings on the stone. Although she felt pity for him, she was still intrigued by his story.

"She must have been beautiful," Salandiel said softly, "When were you brought to Rivendell?"

"In the year 2933 TA," replied Aragorn.

After a few moments Salandiel spoke in a surprised voice. 

"Then you must be at least 80!"

"I am 87," said Aragorn with slight amusement.

"Then you are one of the Dúnedain, those blessed with long life! I thought your kind had passed into legend," said Salandiel in awe.

"There are few of us left," said Aragorn, looking back sadly at the memorial to his beloved mother.

Salandiel fell silent and Aragorn turned back to see her looking down at her feet, her hands clenched into fists by her side. She then looked up and scoffed, her eyes filled with fire. 

"What is it?" asked Aragorn, confused at the sudden change in emotion.

Salandiel tried to keep her emotions at bay but failed. She turned on Aragorn and spoke with a quiet rage.

"You have lived this long and yet you still have chosen not to return to Gondor to reclaim your throne!" 

Salandiel threw her arms up in frustration. 

"For years we have been without a ruler, under the rule of a mad lord, fighting against the forces of Mordor and losing our beloved land whilst our 'king' is off frolicking with the elves."

Quickly and with authority, Aragorn stood up to meet Salandiel in the eye. 

"I suggest you do not of speak of Lord Denethor that way," warned Aragorn, his voice low and menacing, "No matter how true, talk of such things can get one banished and from what I understand you know quite well what that is like."

Salandiel opened her mouth to retort but could not find the words. She let out a huff, surprised at how this ranger could put her at a loss for words.

Aragorn continued 

"And besides, if I had returned would you have followed me as your king?"

Salandiel closed her mouth and looked at Aragorn with a strange mix of shock, guilt and sorrow. His eyes had filled with sadness as he said those words. For years he had doubted himself and the words of Salandiel had pierced him deeply.

Before she could say another word and make more of a fool of herself, Salandiel turned to leave and Aragorn went back to kneeling in front of his mother's grave stone but Salandiel stopped halfway up the stairs and paused for a moment. She knew she had spoken harshly but she knew not how to take her words back. Instead she turned to face Aragorn and said slowly but with passion;

"When I was given the title of the Captain of the Guard I swore an oath. I swore to protect my people, to serve my people and to fight for my people, even if it meant my death. If you can show me that same loyalty to your people, then I will serve and follow you as my king."

Aragorn nodded in understanding. As he looked at her, he saw a soldier wanting only the best for her people. He, too, felt the same towards his people but the doubt in his heart was too great. Salandiel was waiting for a king to take back his throne and lead them out of these dark times. Could he be that king? 

"I shall take my leave," said Salandiel, "We leave early tomorrow. You must also rest," 

And with those last words, Salandiel nodded respectfully and returned to her bed chambers.

Aragorn was left thinking in the garden about his encounter with this soldier he had just met. Their conversation rolled endlessly through his head and her words dug deep. He had a strong feeling that she was about to change the course of his life, but how?

Author's Note: So that was the first one-on-one encounter between Aragorn and Salandiel. Is it what you were expecting? Also, what do you think of her character so far? Thanks again for reading this book that I am actually having a lot of fun writing.

Much love!