Chapter 8-The Breaking of the Fellowship (Edited)

The company continued their journey along the River Anduin. The surrounding mountains and greenery stunned the travellers to silence but the next sight that appeared before them took their breath away.

Aragorn reached down to tap Frodo on the shoulder.

"Frodo," said Aragorn, "The Argonath!"

He looked up in wonder, pausing for a moment to appreciate what stood before him. 

"Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin."

What stood before them were two magnificent statues, carved out of the mountain, standing on either side of the river. They stood proudly with their left arms held aloft, their palms facing outwards in a gesture of warning. Their stern faces beheld years of history. Salandiel looked on in wonder, having heard the stories of old; the stories of mighty kings and their mighty warriors.

The Fellowship reached the foot of Amon Hen, the Hill of Sight, and there they took to setting out their camp on the beach of Parth Galen. All was well, except with Boromir.

"We cross the lake nightfall," said Aragorn as he laid out some supplies, "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north."

"Oh yes?" replied Gimli, "It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshlands as far as the eye can see."

Aragorn grew frustrated. 

"That is our road," he said, "I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf."

"Recover my... ?!" exclaimed Gimli, lost for words.

Legolas looked into the forest and surrounding areas. He turned to Aragorn with worry in his eyes.

"We should leave now."

"I agree," said Salandiel, "Something dark surrounds us, I can feel it."

"No," replied Aragorn, "Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for the cover of darkness."

Legolas and Salandiel looked at one another but chose to argue no further.

Suddenly Merry returned with some wood for the fire, looked around alarmed, and asked, "Where's Frodo?"

All of the company roused and looked around them for Frodo. He was nowhere to be found.

"It is not just Frodo who is missing," said Salandiel. 

She looked to Aragorn and then pointed at Boromir's shield which lay abandoned on the ground. A knowing look passed between them and the group split up to find Frodo.

~~~~~

Salandiel slowly walked through the wood, not making a sound. Feeling a dark presence, she drew her sword, ready for any kind of attack. She knew they shouldn't have trusted Boromir; ever since the council he had been after the ring. She sighed and brought her mind back to the task at hand, her sword poised in front of her.

~~~~~

In another part of the wood, Aragorn also drew his sword, ready to attack, but it was he who found Frodo first, under the Seat of the Seeing, an ancient ruin from long ago. Frodo looked flustered and Aragorn knew immediately that Boromir had tried to take the Ring from him. Aragorn approached the startled Frodo.