Chapter 19-The Palantir (Edited)

A large crowd had gathered in the Great Hall of Meduseld to celebrate the victory at Helm's Deep and to remember the lives of those who had passed.

Theoden raised a cup and said proudly "Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the victorious dead!"

"Hail!" declared the crowd, and all raised their cups to honour the fallen.

~~~~~

Salandiel felt once more the grief that she had felt whilst walking through the battle fields after their victory. Although this was a time to be joyous, a time to drink and be merry with friends, she knew deep within her heart that the greater war had only just begun.

"Why the long face?"

Salandiel looked around to see where that voice had come from and was shocked to see the two hobbits, Merry and Pippin, standing in front of her, already looking a bit tipsy. That was probably due to the large pint of ale each hobbit held.

Salandiel smiled softly, "I am just weary."

"Oh, this is no time to be weary," piped Pippin with a cheeky grin.

"Yes," said Merry, "This is quite the party!"

They both clinked their mugs together and each took a large swig of ale. Salandiel just shook her head and laughed. Hobbits really were strange creatures, she thought to herself.

"Do you know what'll cheer you up, Miss Salandiel?" asked Merry.

"What would that be, young Meriadoc?" asked Salandiel.

"A large pint of ale and some good music," said Pippin.

He quickly ran off and returned a moment later carrying a second mug of ale in his other hand. The drink overflowed from the cup and splashed onto the ground near Salandiel as Pippin shakily held it up for her.

"Oh no, I really shouldn't," said Salandiel, looking down at the wet spot on her boot with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh come on!" pleaded Pippin, "Just one sip..."

Pippin handed the mug to her and Salandiel hesitantly took it. With a deep breath, Salandiel took a sip. The golden liquid crept down her throat and she sighed as she felt the warmth seep into her body. It had been many years since she had last felt the effects of alcohol. A few times Salandiel had gone out with her fellow soldiers to the pub but she had given all of that up once she took up her role as a captain. She could not be seen out drinking or drunk; it would ruin her reputation that she had fought so hard to build.

But times had changed and Salandiel questioned whether or not it would be so bad to have just this one mug of ale.

Salandiel put the mug to her lips and downed the rest of her drink. Merry and Pippin looked on in wonder as she put the mug down on a table with a thud, wiped her mouth and let out a satisfied sigh.

"How about another one?" asked Salandiel, her eyes bright.

Merry and Pippin looked at each other with their eyebrows raised and then back at Salandiel. All three let out a raucous laugh.

~~~~~

Aragorn walked through the crowd, lost in his own thoughts. Despite the joy he felt at their latest victory, he still feared what was to come. He thought of all that had happened and he tried to focus on the coming days but his mind always wandered back to one person.

Salandiel kept surprising him and his respect for her grew day by day. He had come to see her as more than a soldier or captain. Their relationship had changed and he could not help but feel a great need to prove himself to her as more than just a leader.