Chapter 10-Fangorn Forest (Edited)

The air in the forest was thick and a groaning and creaking could be heard. As the company walked through the forest, following the tracks of Merry and Pippin, they could feel something stirring.

Aragorn paused to examine the ground. 

"These are strange tracks," he said.

Gimli was most wary of the ancient forest, looking around him in search for any kind of danger. 

"The air is so close in here."

"The forest is old," replied Legolas, "Full of memory...and anger."

The deep groaning was heard again and Gimli lifted his axe in defence. Even Salandiel placed her hand on the hilt of her sword, ready to draw it at any moment. She had never set foot in the old forest but had heard many strange tales of Fangorn Forest.

"It sounds like the trees are speaking," remarked Salandiel, looking up at the trees and remembering one of the many legends her father had told her; legends of how trees could speak to one another, how they could come to life and walk upon the lands of Middle-Earth. She had never believed in those legends; they were just fairytales to her.

"You are correct," replied Legolas who continued to look up, "The trees are speaking to each other."

Salandiel looked up again to gaze upon the ancient trees. So it was true...the tales of old were not just legends.

Aragorn turned to Gimli.

"Gimli!" warned Aragorn, "Lower your axe."

Gimli suddenly realised what he had meant and lowered his axe.

Salandiel, who had forgotten the danger at hand, asked Legolas in wonder; 

"How? How can the trees possibly be alive?"

"The Elves began it," said Legolas, "Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak." 

Legolas turned to Gimli.

"They have feelings, my friend."

The company moved on but they could hear Gimli muttering to himself in the back. 

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about? Except for the consistency of squirrel droppings."

Suddenly Legolas stopped. He could sense an oncoming danger.

"Nad no ennas (Something is out there)."

"Man cenich? (What do you see?)" replied Aragorn.

Legolas looked deep into the forest and quietly warned the company. 

"The White Wizard approaches."

"Do not let him speak," warned Aragorn, "He will put a spell on us."

Aragorn gripped his sword, Salandiel drew two daggers, one from both each of her boots, Gimli lifted his axe and Legolas loaded his bow.

"We must be quick," said Aragorn.

As fast as lightening the company turned around to face the White Wizard but were greeted a blinding white light. Gimli threw his axe, which was deflected. Legolas fired an arrow which was also deflected. The sword in Aragorn's hand and the daggers in Salandiel's hands turned hot red causing them to drop their weapons. The White Wizard was too powerful for them.

A deep voice came from within the white light. It sounded distorted, but almost familiar.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits."

"Where are they?" demanded Aragorn.

"They passed this way," replied the voice, "The day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

"Who are you?" asked Aragorn, "Show yourself."

The figure stepped out from the white light and revealed himself. The company were shocked to see Gandalf dressed in white robes and holding a white staff. Salandiel bowed and Legolas and Gimli followed suit. Aragorn continued to stand and looked on in disbelief.

"It cannot be," said Aragorn.

"Forgive me," said Legolas respectfully, "I mistook you for Saruman."

"I am Saruman," said Gandalf, "Or rather, Saruman as he should have been."

Salandiel looked up and stated, "But you fell."

Gandalf looked at her gently but as he started his tale his eyes looked far off into the distance, far into his memory. 

"Through fire and water, from the lowest dungeons to the highest peak. I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth." Although the company could not see the memory, they felt Gandalf's story as he spoke. He continued. 

"Until at last I threw down the enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday as long as a life age of the Earth... I felt life in me again."

Gandalf removed himself from his memory and continued to speak to the company with new life. 

"I've been sent back until my task is done."

Aragorn moved forward, still in awe. 

"Gandalf."

"Gandalf?" he asked. He looked puzzled as he tried to remember, "Yes. That is what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name." 

Gandalf smiled.

"I am Gandalf the White," he continued, "And I come back to you at the turn of the tide."

~~~~~

"One stage of the journey is over. Another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed," said Gandalf. 

The company followed Gandalf, who was now wearing a grey cloak over his white robes, through the forest as he gave instruction.

"Edoras," exclaimed Gimli, "That is no short distance!"

"We hear of trouble in Rohan," said Aragorn gravely, "It goes ill with the king."

As the company walked through the forest with haste they spoke of their plans and of the hobbits' fates. They reached the edge of the forest and came out to look upon the vast plains of Rohan once more. Gandalf whistled and, from a distance, the company could see a magnificent white horse galloping towards them.

"That is one of the Mearas," said Legolas in wonder, "Unless my eyes are cheated by some spell."

The beautiful beast stopped in front of Gandalf and Gandalf bowed his head towards the horse, stroking him lovingly.

"Shadowfax," exclaimed Gandalf, looking at the horse with love, "He is the lord of all horses and has been my friend through many dangers."

And with that the company mounted their horses and rode towards Edoras.

Author's Note: Sorry, this chapter was a bit shorter than my other ones but it would've been too long if I put some scenes from Edoras in here as well. Hope you still enjoyed it. 

Much love!