Chapter 3-The Ring Goes South (Edited)

"The Ringbearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom and you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will," declared Lord Elrond.

The Fellowship and all those that wished to say farewell had gathered by the gates of Rivendell. It was a beautiful day and no one could foresee the dangerous journey that lay ahead, but the tension was so thick that one could cut it with a knife. As Lord Elrond continued with his farewell Salandiel looked towards Aragorn, hoping to catch his attention and somehow show her remorse for the previous night, but his eyes were set upon the beautiful daughter of Elrond, Arwen. She was a stunning elf with a beauty that was unmatched. Salandiel noticed the princess' perfect face and put a hand to her own face, feeling the rough surface of her scar. She could not help feel just a slight twinge of jealousy in her heart.

"Farewell. Hold to your purpose and may the blessings of the elves, and men, and all free folk go with you," said Lord Elrond as he raised his hand to gesture for them to take their leave.

The Fellowship turned around to leave under the arches and as they marched, Salandiel could see, in the front, a very nervous Frodo. 

"Mordor, Gandalf," whispered Frodo quietly, "Is it left or right?"

Gandalf placed a hand on his shoulder and gently said, "Left".

And with that the Fellowship were off!

~~~~~

"We must hold this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us and there our road turns east to Mordor," were the instructions of Gandalf.

It was a long journey and the Fellowship travelled over magnificent mountains, ancient ruins and beautiful hills. 

One morning they stopped in an open area for breakfast. Sam and Frodo sat eating whilst watching Merry and Pippin practiced sword fighting with Boromir. Aragorn, with a pipe in hand, and Salandiel, who was cleaning her sword, were watching their swordplay as well. One could say that it was quite a peaceful scene.

"Good, very good," said Boromir.

"Move your feet," piped in Aragorn.

"You look good Pippin," remarked Merry.

Whilst the swordplay was happening, the conversation between Gandalf and Gimli could be overheard.

"If anyone was to ask me for my opinion, which I note that they have not, I'd say we were taking the long way round. Gandalf," said Gimli, "We could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome."

"No, Gimli," replied Gandalf with a grave voice, "I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice."

Suddenly, Legolas ran to stand on the edge of a cliff to stare at a grey cloud in the distance. He could sense some danger coming near.

"ARGH!" cried out Pippin, distracting all the others from the unknown danger.

"I'm so sorry," said Boromir.

He stepped forward to look at Pippin's hand but Pippin kicked him in the leg and tackled him to the ground. Merry joined in on the fun with, "For the Shire!"

There was much laughter from the group especially once Aragorn stepped in to stop the brawl but was, instead, thrown to the ground by Merry and Pippin. Salandiel, too, laughed at the mischief that these hobbits made. It had been a long time since she had last laughed like that but then she noticed the cloud that Legolas had been staring at earlier and the laughter died on her lips.