Chapter 18-Saruman's Death (Edited)

"Welcome, my lords, to Isengard!"

After the Battle at Helm's Deep, a small company consisting of Gandalf, Aragorn, Salandiel, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden and Eomer rode to Isengard. There they found a surprising sight. What stood before them was the magnificent home of Saruman deep under water. The Orthanc Tower still stood tall but the rest of the area was in ruins. But it wasn't just this sight that surprised the company. They all felt relief and shock when they saw the two hobbits, Merry and Pippin, merrily drinking ale and smoking pipe-weed.

Merry stood quite shakily on a broken wall whilst Pippin chortled from where he was sitting.

Gimli was the first to respond. 

"You young rascals! A merry hunt you've led us on, and now we find you feasting and...smoking!"

"We are sitting on a field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts," replied Pippin who was chewing and held a piece of food in his hand, "The salted pork is particularly good."

He grinned cheekily.

"Salted pork?" asked Gimli who was suddenly distracted by the idea of food.

"Hobbits," muttered Gandalf to himself.

Aragorn looked to his left to see Salandiel let out a small chuckle. She felt his eyes on her and brought her head up to meet his eyes. Something had changed within both of them over the last couple of days but neither of them wanted to admit to it. Their eyes met for a moment, feeling a slight spark of electricity, but it was cut short by the company who rode closer to Orthanc.

Salandiel was shocked by the magnificent tree that was actually walking towards them. Her eyes gazed up and she let out a small gasp. This was the first she had ever laid eyes on a living Ent.

"Young Master Gandalf," came the deep, rumbling voice of Treebeard, "I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a Wizard to manage here, locked in his tower."

"Be careful," came Gandalf's warning, "Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous."

"You have fought many wars and slain many men, Theoden King..."

All of the company looked up to see who that voice belonged to. It was Saruman and even from atop the mighty tower, his enticing voice rung in all their ears. Salandiel had heard of this Wizard and how his voice could easily seduce anyone into committing great acts of evil.

"...and made peace afterwards," carried on Saruman, "Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?"

Theoden defiantly replied, remembering all that had been caused by Saruman, a once trusted confidant and ally now turned to evil ways. 

"We shall have peace. We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against of the Hornburg are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows, we shall have peace."

Salandiel looked at Theoden with even more respect. He really cared for his people and their lives, even if that meant having to face the evil Saruman.

"Gibbets and crows?" sneered Saruman, "Dotard! What do you want, Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess. The key to Orthanc? Or perhaps the Keys of Barad-dur itself along with the crowns of the seven kings and the rods of the Five Wizards."

"Your treachery," replied Gandalf, "has already cost many lives. Thousands more are at risk. But you can save them, Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel."