Insomnia

"... So in conclusion, you don't need a parachute to go skydiving!" Azumi finished her speech and the entire girl's volleyball team broke out clapping. Except for Maru, she just sighed in disappointment.

"Uhh- actually, I'm not even going to ask," Konoha shook his head from the doorway of the gym.

"What are you here for?" You turned to glance at him.

"For some reason the boy's team has no balls left, so I came to get some from here," he explained.

You snorted, "I always figured you had no balls. Nice to see no one else does either,"

"Oi! You know what I'm talking about!" He scowled, whacking you lightly on the head.

"How did you even run out? You should have plenty," Maru said.

You coughed loudly, taking a couple steps back, "I'm gonna... use the bathroom,"

"Wait a second... you have something to do with this! Didn't you!?" Konoha grabbed your wrist, dragging you back before you could escape.

"Huuuuhhh? Noooooo," you shook your head, "I could never do such a horrid thing!"

He raised and eyebrow, "I never knew you were such a bad liar,"

"Akinori! Let me goooo," you whined, poking at his hand.

"Where are the volleyballs?"

You giggled, "You'll never find them,"

"She painted them as soccer balls and mixed them in with the real one as the soccer club," Maru said, picking up a water bottle.

"Maru! Who's side are you on?!" You turned to face your friend who shrugged and walked away.

Konoha gaped at you, "How on earth did you find time to do that?!"

"I told you dude, I have way too much free time!"

"How do you find free time with school, volleyball, and two siblings?" He asked.

"She has insomnia!" Azumi popped up besides the two of you.

You groaned loudly, "I need new friends,"

"You have insomnia?" Akinori gazed at you.

"Psshhh, nooo. Of course not," you rolled your eyes, pulling at his hand, "Can you let me go now?"

He let go of your wrist, "But you always seem so energetic. No one would ever guess unless you told them,"

"Azumi was lying. You know her, always spitting nonsense. Here, I'll go get you your volleyball, just drop the insomnia topic," you ran out the door.

Maru glanced at Azumi, "You know that's a sensitive topic with (Y/N). You probably shouldn't mention it anymore,"

"Really?!" Azumi squeaked, "Okay I won't!" She gasped quietly, "I have to go apologize! I'll be right back!"

-o0o-

You sighed, rolling over in bed as you glanced at your clock.

3:32 A.M.

"Uggghhhhhh!" You groaned and sat up, rolling your shoulders. Hopping out of bed and slipping a sweatshirt over your head, you walked out of the house without bothering to put shoes on. You walked down the sidewalk, enjoying the fresh night air. You didn't have a destination in mind, simply walking where your feet took you.

When you looked up you let out another groan. You were standing in front of Konoha's house. Why the hell am I here? Why did I even get out of bed? Am I suddenly a sleepwalker? Wait- can't be a sleepwalker if you can't fall asleep. You sighed, running your fingers through your hair. "I'm just gonna go back home," you whispered out loud, for no one in particular to hear.

"Why the hell are you here?"

"gaAAAHHH!!" You jumped backwards, tripping and falling onto the grass.

"It's just me," Konoha gave you an amused look.

"That's not very reassuring," you scowled.

"Whatever. Care to explain why you're outside my house at four in the morning?" He raised an eyebrow.

"To be honest, I have no idea either," you shrugged, standing up and dusting yourself off, "Why are you awake?"

"My mom was playing music really loudly for some reason. You think she'd be more mature than that, but nooo. So I decided to take a walk. You?"

"Uhhhh..." you trailed off.

"So you do have insomnia," he let out a breathless laugh.

"No! I just- eerrr, my brother was playing music really loudly...?"

"You just used my excuse. C'mon (Y/N), I'm not that stupid," he smiled lazily.

"I was kinda hoping you were," you sighed, "Yeah, whatever. I have insomnia. Why'd you care?"

He ignored your question, asking one of his own, "Why didn't you want to tell me?"

"I don't need to go around announcing to the world that I have insomnia, okay? Plus, even if I do tell them they get all worried about my health or something. Like, I'm fine! A little tired... but fine!" You scuffed your foot across the ground.

"Have you tried different types of pills?" He asked.

"Akinori I don't want to talk about it. But yes... every type we could find. And no, they didn't work," you sighed, "It doesn't matter. I'm totally fine. Now I'm going back home, bye,"

"(Y/N)-"

"Stop it Akinori!! Stop acting all different to me just cause you found out I have trouble sleeping or something! I'm still (Y/N)! Look at me during the day Akinori, no one could tell! You said it yourself!" You turned around, clenching your fists.

"I-I'm sorry," he murmured, then looked back up with a smirk, "Filha-da-puta,"

"Wha-" you gasped, "You learned how to swear in another language!"

"Thought I'd try to get on your level," he laughed, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Oh that'll take a while. Don't get your hopes up," you crossed your arms.

"I wouldn't go that far. Don't let it get to your head," he rolled his eyes.

"I just might!" You stick your tongue out, turning around and starting to walk away.

"Oh by the way! It's pretty stupid to walk barefoot! You'll probably cut your feet!" He called to you.

"My feet are rock hard!" You spun around, kicking your foot up, "Nothing can penetrate my skin-armor!"

"OI! TEENAGERS! IT'S FOUR IN THE MORNING! SHUT UP!" Someone opened their window, screaming out of it at the two of you.

You both stared at each other for a couple of seconds before laughing. You bent over as your hair waved in the wind, Konoha laughing just as hard. "We're gonna wake up the whole neighborhood," he said.

"No, you're gonna wake up the whole neighborhood. I'm outta here," you took off running down the sidewalk.

Akinori chuckled quietly, turning around to walk back to his own house. "Never would've thought I'd end up falling for the girl who poured syrup on my head."

You opened the door to your house quietly, looking around to see if anyone was awake. Bad luck. Someone was.

"Where were you?" Shichiro raised an eyebrow.

"None of your business. You don't get to ask me that, I'm older than you!"

"What if told Mom?"

"Oh I already know. I don't care," your mother appeared in the living room, "Just get to bed and be quiet already. I'm tired,"

You stuck your tongue out at your brother as you ran into your room, collapsing happily down on the bed. You pulled the covers over your body and yawned, suddenly feeling tired. You smiled to yourself as you dozed off, "Who would've thought I'd fall for that asshole."