To Prove Yourself

Mikasa's POV...

"What we're about to do is talk to the suspects themselves. Make sure to pay attention and carefully match the description of their story with the facts we are given. None of them can be trusted so keep personal bias out of your deductions" Levi briefs me in on the way to the police department. It's only my first time out on the field and I'm already dealing with a murder case. I have to say I'm quite nervous. "Understood. No suspect can be trusted. I got it" I keep repeating. Levi seems totally unfazed by all of this. He is a detective but still, a murder is a murder but he looks completely calm and focused, emotionless even. Maybe he already figured it out but is waiting for me?

"Oi, are you even listening?" Levi taps my shoulder and I break out of my trance. "What? Umm sorry I was thinking" I say slightly embarrassed yet I still keep a neutral face. I gotta show him I can handle myself in these situations. "Tch, whatever just get out of the car. We're here" he says and opens his door to get out. I was so focused on my own thoughts I didn't even realise.

I get out of the car and close the door behind me. As we walk inside the building there's tons of officers around the place but they all step aside as Levi and I step towards the detention centre parting like the Red Sea. That's how famous he is although something tells me he's not all too into the fame. Nevertheless we make it to the interrogation room and see Jean Kirstein already seared there waiting in handcuffs. When we walked in I could hear the douchiness in his voice immediately.

"Oh thank god you're finally here to get me out... wait, you're not my lawyer. Who are-" he gets cut off by Levi who speaks calmly but demandingly. "Jean Kirstein I presume? Detective Ackerman and cadet Ackerman assigned to investigate the matter. Now then tell us about last night." Jean seemed baffled at the fact he got interrupted but probably decided it was best not to speak back. "Alright Mikasa, this is your chance to prove your worth. You may be top of your class but that won't mean shit unless you can put it to use here" he whispers to me and I nod. Way to break down my confidence.

"Oh, I didn't realise I would have such an attractive young lady come save me from this mess. What should I call you miss?" Jean speaks to me and as much as I hate his attitude already I try to remember what Levi told me. I have to be unbiased about my reasoning. "Cadet Ackerman will do Jean. Now then start of with what you were up to last night. I assume you have a busy schedule?" I start off and he seems a bit intimated by my tone. At least he's easy to break it would seem. "O-Oh yes, of course"

(Jean's account)

"Hmm, let's see now. I was supposed to hold a performance today so I had my bodyguards over to my hotel at 12 o'clock sharp to pack all of my equipment. We had a lot of stuff to pack as the performance would take place in the inner city and we were running late. It took us 3 hours to just get everything packed and ready for transfer. The 2 swords where incredibly annoying to pack properly.  So once we were done I stayed at the hotel while Mina and Marco took the car and started to drive the stuff to the studio. Then when I woke up this morning I was arrested saying I was a suspect for Marco's death. That's all..."

Well shit. Where do I start. Hmmmm wait, his hotel. "Ok Jean, give me the location of your hotel" I abruptly demand and he seemed a bit shocked by my change in attitude. Levi seems to find this amusing as he looks at me with a smug look on his face. "I uhh sure. It was the Garrison hotel at the end of the city." Wait a second, the Garrison hotel. That's only a twenty minute drive from the crime scene. But then again it really isn't the crime scene so he could've killed the victim and then transported him later. Damn it, let's keep looking.