Not So Glamorous Now

Mikasa's POV...

Levi dragged himself inside the house on heavy legs, too heavy for him to lift off the ground with his head looking at the ground and holding a horrified stare at emptiness. Seeing him in such state was rather surprising if not a little uncomfortable. His face filled with despair and agony, nothing more than a defeated man.

"What's wrong Levi?" I say worriedly, putting down my spoon and hurrying over to him.

"We need to talk, about the case" he says and walks over to the couch in the living room slowly. I follow him.

He sits down on his armchair and I sit across from him on the couch. He seemed rather stressed and I could not figure out what happened. Guess I'll have to find out now. We were sitting there for a couple of minutes in silence, he was looking down at his thighs, his right hand clenched into a fist over them.

"Levi?" I say cautiously, trying to break the awkward silence. "What's wrong?"

He takes a big breath before answering to me. "There has been a major discovery in this case. One simple discovery that can change the entire outcome of our battle, but there is also a big issue ahead"

I nod in response.

"Sigh, there was new evidence submitted by the autopsy team, a small button found inside the kid's lung" he throws the button for me to catch. "Know the engravings on it?" she asks.

"They do seem rather familiar. I could've sworn I did a presentation back in high school for these symbols but I've completely forgotten" I reply with a shake of my head.

"I'm sure you have. These are the markings of an infamous serial killer and part-time mercenary, Kenny the ripper" he tells me and I immediately remember who he is.

"You mean the guy that has over 57 confirmed murder cases to his name?"

"The very same, and now they have become 58" he says angrily.

"And you think the Titans hired him?" I ask suspiciously.

"I'm certain of it, but that's not the only reason I told you this" he says and looks up at me. I return the state only more worrisome.

"Kenny the ripper is without a doubt the killer of your friend, I've seen murders like this before when I was young and they match to the bitter detail"

"Wait but how can you have seen any of his cases before?" I ask, his face only getting more grim by the second.

"Because" he takes a long pause, breathes in slowly, and exhales harshly. "He's my uncle..."

I dropped my cup on the floor, my eyes widened as soon as the words came out of his mouth. Kenny the ripper is, Levi's uncle? How could that be possible? His family was one of the most well known detective corporations in the country if not the whole world. For them to have a serial murderer in their blood seems more than unlikely but I have no reason not to believe him.

"Kenny, is your uncle?" I say slowly.

"Yes, it seems impossible i know, but it's the truth. When I was young my family wasn't the great detectives we are today, or at least the one I am. We lived in the underground district, as producers. Me and my mum barely had enough for the both of us while she studied to become a detective. And eventually my mother had to leave me for about 13 months for her training. I was left with my uncle..." he paused.

"Oh, I never knew, I'm-"

"Don't bother pitying me, we got it lucky. There's others who didn't get to see the light of day again. I might not look as glamorous now but I'm still alive" he cut me off but looked away in sorrow.

"Alright, and how does this connect to him being a killer?"

"Sigh, Kenny Ackerman was no ordinary man, he was a devil in disguise, a ruthless murderer showing no mercy for anyone in his way, and I got to experience that first hand. I saw him murder before, I assisted him. He told me that I should grow up and teach myself some of his talents. The murders he commits are complex and misleading, exactly like Armin's. That's why it was easier for me to figure out the true method. He likes toying with his victims."

"You... helped him in his murders?" I say slowly,  horrified.

"I had no choice, I was under his wing, I had to obey him no matter what. I had nowhere else to go"

I couldn't believe it, Levi, he helped the most infamous killer murder innocent lives. He was part of Kenny's schemes. And now Armin is dead because of him. Armin is dead, because Kenny is alive. Because Levi let him live knowing what he is. My best friend is gone because of him. If I ever get my hands on him I'll rip his eyeballs and make him eat them. As for Levi...

"Why?" I ask with a growl through gritted teeth.

"Hm?" he looks at me confused.

"Why didn't you tell me before? About your involvement with a guy like him? That he was your uncle, that you helped him murder innocent lives!" I force myself to remain calm. Rather difficult given all the new information.

"Because he was a part if my past that I wanted to forget, he's not who I am and I'm not like him. If anything, I had completely forgotten about him until this trial" he says, his voice took up a passive aggressive stature, ready to prey on anyone unable to withstand him.

"Well you should've told me about him, and about you. What you really are"

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"You helped him kill innocent lives for money, and then you went on and became a detective and you couldn't even try to find him and lock him for his crimes"

"I thought he was dead a long time ago, if I had known I wouldn't let him roam free" he protests.

"Yeah right, he's your own blood, of course you would"

"He abandoned me years ago! I have no connection to him" he finally snaps and shouts it out. The room fell into an uncomfortable silence, one that neither of us were willing to break.

He didn't look up at me when he said that, almost as if it hurt him, saying it out loud. Like he didn't want to say it, or that he was upset because of it. I looked down at myself at that moment, realising what just happened, what I had just said. I was about to say something but then Levi spoke.

"I should get back to work, I have my uncle to catch" and he left the living room without another word, and for some reason my heart only seems to hate me more nowadays.

___________________________________

Well well, another day, another chapter for you to enjoy. It took a bit of time but I got there eventually. As always,at me know if any criticism or ideas you want to see and I'll see you on the next one...