What To Do

Levi's POV...

"But that's impossible, you said he got killed years ago, executed by his own clan! How can he be back?" Hanji tells me as the words I spoke sank into both of our minds.

"I don't know, all I know is that it has to be him"

"But that shouldn't be possible, we had his severed body in the lab 6 years ago. His head was detached from his body for crying out loud! You saw him dead"

"I know that! You think I don't remember idiot? That doesn't matter, all that matters now is to find him and get any information we can out of him" I say and quickly walk towards the door to leave before Hanji got my attention again.

"But how can we find him, he certainly didn't leave any trails"

"He is sn old fool who messed with my Mikasa's-I mean ms Ackerman's friends, I know where to find him" I try saving my stupidity but Hanji caught onto it with all her might.

"Your Mikasa?" she teases.

"Get your ears checked shitty glasses, I got work to do"

"You're gonna go see her, aren't you?" she giggles lightly big enough to cause my head to throb.

"Shut up and let me know of any updates, I'll be on foot today" i say and head out the door, Hanji saluted while laughing and the door shut behind me.

Heading home to give the report to Mikasa, I looked at the list of evidence and read through it again. Going through each one, I thought the list seemed rather small, at least from the more conclusive side of the spectrum, and reading it over again I realised, there was evidence missing. Evidence that was not there when I was at the office minutes prior, and evidence that if properly examined, would have spelled the annihilation of the Titans. I quickly pick up my phone and dial Hanji's number.

"Oi Hanji" I say hastily as soon as she picks up the phone.

"Aww, can't let me go for more than 5 minutes? Huhuhuhu"

"I don't have time for this, go check the evidence room again. Is there any bullet shrapnel in the pile?"

She hums a yes and I can hear her walking to the evidence room. She takes out the drawer full of Armin's case evidence and looks through it.

"Hmm, no, no bullets or shrapnel in here, why?"

"Sigh, so it wasn't there. I figured as much."

"Is something wrong Levi?"

"Yes, there's a major problem. When I searched the scene myself I found pieces of a bullet on the floor. I gave them to one of the officers to put it into evidence but now it's missing"

"What? I never got any type of evidence like that"

"Go figure, we're trapped. There is a traitor in our ranks" I say and there's a heavy silence between us.

"A traitor? You think so?"

"Possibly more than one now that they got one in" I say with an aggressive growl.

"This is bad, how are we gonna tell the othe-"

"We don't tell them" I cut her off.

"What? But they need to know" she protests.

"Any one of them could be the potential traitor in our squad, if we tell them we know they're here then we put everyone in danger and compromise our only lead to the Titans. We have to stay silent for now until we find who it is or are"

She kept silent but I could feel her veins in her arms about to explode from how hard she's tightening her fists. That was the only thing we could do, keep silent, nothing else. Talking would destroy us, acting reckless is too risky and even telling Hanji at this point was a gamble. The only one I can really trust is Mikasa, or at least I hope I can.

"So... what's our course of action?" Hanji speaks after a silent pause, her voice low and defeated.

"We wait, that's all we can do. We wait and look for clues that will point us to the traitor" I say.

"What about Erwin?" Hanji asks the question I still don't have answers to.

"Tch, I'm not sure, perhaps we keep him in the dark too, it would be a risk to warn him and it will be much more convincing if he doesn't have to act suspicious of anyone"

She murmurs a yes and we hang up as I continue driving home. How do I explain all this to Mikasa? What do I say? 'Oh hey you know your best friend's killer, the one we're trying to find, turns out it's my long lost uncle that I thought was dead and is working with the Titans.' That will work like a charm won't it.

I put my thoughts aside as I reach Christa's coffee shop, I'm definitely gonna need a couple of cups. I get out of my car and and head inside. Christa, of course, was behind the counter serving another customer, her smile as bright as I remember it and her attitude never seizes to amaze me given how cheerful she always is. A part of me will never understand how she manages to stay this positive but it's astonishing nonetheless.

After serving the customer before me we had our usual talk before I took mine and Mikasa's coffee, payed and left to go home. I had a long conversation ahead and I'd need all the energy I could drink. It wasn't long before I had downed the first of six cups I bought during the ride home and by the time I had reached my doorknob I was have way through the second one.

"Welcome back Levi" Mikasa says to me as soon as I entered the kitchen, placing the tray of coffee on the counter. "That's quite a lot you got there, are we expecting anyone?" she says in a mocking tone.

I sigh, and her expression immediately turns to a concerned motherly look, ready to slash at any danger.

"What's wrong? What happened?" she asks.

"We have to talk about the case" I say, my voice filled with despair.

___________________________________

Well then, half the truth is out and half is still hidden away. I apologise for the long wait, I was stuffed with assignments to the brim and I had a horrible time finishing them. I also read a couple more stories since it's been a while and I noticed everyone telling people to follow them which I don't get but if you want to follow me you can. Anyways, hope you enjoyed and I'll see you on the next one...