1

The Day I Died

Listen to my song.

Let me explain why I'm telling you this. It's very simple really. You have to listen, though. You can't interrupt me. There will be consequences you understand...if you told my secrets. Ok, good...as long as you understand.

Have you ever comprehended perfection?

Perfection. There was something in the way beautiful when my fingers touched the violin. The world would come alive around me.

The perfection was in the air as my bow in the strings. I was surprised how cleaned it sounded. The feeling inside of me grew ever steady. Yeah, I'd finally be accepted. This time they'd know I was the best. But they didn't appreciate music like this. Music like this was dead.

And I played the Dark Waltz. And it was perfect.

My violin made love to the song. The background singer let out her notes, slowly to my violin, "We are the lucky ones..."

I was never cocky unless it came to my music. Yes, my music was mattered most. And it was beautiful. It was strong.

And then when my song ended, they just sat there watching.

Not understanding my music. A light applause came afterwards. Strange. They didn't understand my music. I didn't get how they could not understand my music.

We were in the car on the way back from the concert.

"It was good. It was...fucking beautiful," Carter told me.

Carter was beautiful. He was the only reason I even got a place in the theater. I had grown up with him. We were like brothers. Or so he thought. I always wanted something more with him. Of course he didn't know I was a gay male. I never told anyone. I never acted on any type of love but my music. Worst part of it was that I was turning 21. I had sex before in my life with random males I met off the internet.

I'd never experienced love...well not love that could be returned. I loved Carter, for everything that he was. I excused him for everything that he couldn't be to me.

"They hated it," I replied.

He shook his head leaning forward, "They didn't hate it bro. I'm telling you. It's just...not the same era."

"I wouldn't even be playing at the Apollo if it wasn't for you."

"You have talent. Maybe you can go back to Juilliard..."

"NO!"

I turned towards the passenger seat. It was raining that day. It was raining rather hard actually. It usually didn't rain this hard in Harlem.

He was sensitive every time he talked about Juilliard, "They can teach you. Sure you have beautiful art but sometimes people want to see it on paper. They want to know that you are good, Adam."

I shook my head, "Carter, they were trying to stifle my gift."

He shook his head, "You're so stubborn. What am I going to do with you?"

"Be like my big brother and deal with it," I stated laughing.

He grabbed me pulling me close underneath his arm. He held it for a few minutes. I could smell his cologne. Carter was everything an undercover faggot could ever dream of. He was sensitive, almost to suspicion. He had strong masculine body and a serious, stern face. He was a heartthrob. Women every where desired him.

"You can always...come on tour with me..." he replied.

"Serious?"

"Yeah. You can help me write new music. Help me...I don't know. Anything. Just be around," Carter stated, "I want to have you around."