16

"Who knew?" Giovanni stated.

He batted his long eyelashes, always being the charmer with that double crossing smile of his. I didn't trust him at all. He was a part of the group that had brought me back blood though. I was happy for the blood, I had to admit. For once I didn't think about what it had caused them to bring back these huge containers of blood.

I needed it. The blood made me feel...rejuvenated. It made me feel better.

Arie had set a trashcan in flames in the parking lot. Caesarian had not returned with the blood. Now, Roxy, Giovanni, Arie, Carter and I were in the parking lot surrounding this fire and for a moment time seemed to stand still.

"Who knew what?" Arie asked.

Giovanni had that sly smile on his face, "Who knew we'd be here struggling for our lives. Who knew a human would be saving us. We are depending on our dinner."

He laughed slyly again with his remark. He leaned over the garbage can. It was like he was hogging all the fire to himself. Vampires didn't get very cold but I knew I would be shivering if I was human at this point. It was blunt, rash and idiot-like. It definitely fit right up Giovanni's lane. I put my arm on Carter. The gesture said more support than anything. I didn't realize Arie looking at us until I heard Giovanni laughing even harder.

"We've always depended on humans," Roxy stated, "We are all grateful for you leading us there Carter."

"Wait..." I stated.

I knew I was drawing attention as I spoke because it had been the first time I had said anything since they'd come back. I had been thinking everything through.

All of a sudden I heard Arie's voice over me, "Adam no. Roxy's right. This is for the best."

"Anyone mind filling me in on what's going on?"

"I've had a change of mind. Maybe we should rethink going to Paradise. We may be tainting a very pure place. You know? Has anyone thought of that? Paradise is no place for monsters."

Giovanni immediately started laughing. By the look on Roxy's face I didn't even think she noticed what I was saying at first. They just seemed to be having the same negative approach to my train of thought that Arie had.

Giovanni spoke first, "He's been talking to the human too much."

I looked at Carter. He was always very quiet around the vampires. I could tell he was out of place. I could tell he didn't seem to notice what was going on around him.

"I made the decision for myself, Giovanni."

I could see his eyes triggering mine. He started walking close to me in the same seductive way that he did when I first met him. He came close...he came so close that Arie got up off his kneeling position.

Giovanni didn't touch me though. I could feel his breath against my face. His eyes lynched into mine. He had a way of making me feel intimidated that no one was able to do in either my human life or my vampire life. He had a way of making me feel so inferior to him.

"Well it isn't your decision to make."

"You're right. It's Carter's decision."

I looked over at Carter and moved away from Giovanni. I wondered for a moment if Giovanni would get in Carter's face like I would. I knew he wanted to intimidate everyone, including Carter, but I guess he didn't find it at all necessary to stand so close to have that effect on Carter. Carter's face was already looking down. He seemed to be digging for something.