5

The longer I spent as this creature, the longer I realized that as a human I had not really lived. Truth was I didn't believe vampires were the "undead". I mean in a sense we had died. In a sense our life force had been taken away from us. But I believed we were born again. You know. We were born under something new, under something different.

The first time, I must have not done it right. I didn't kiss long enough. I didn't love at all. I didn't appreciate things. When you lose everything you start to realize things you've taken for granted. The time I spent complaining that it was too cold outside. Bullshit. I should have been spending time staring at the sun. I should have spent time just looking at it and all it's beauty. I should have been trying to instill a more clear view of how a rainbow looked like. I should have remembered how people seemed to smile more during the day time.

I should have remembered that people were less afraid during the daytime.

"It'll be ok, Arie won't be in too much trouble," Roxanne stated.

She could tell I was worrying.

We were sitting outside of the hall that Decadence usually resided within the warehouse. It was a dark hall lit by nothing but a single torch and blocked off by a huge burgundy steel door. Arie and Giovanni had been called in there earlier in the day. It was clear that Decadence was angry at them about what happened.

"Arie was just...protecting me."

"He should have never took you out of the warehouse. You are far too young. You have urges, you know. Giovanni told me about your...experience. Usually we try to hold off a killing for as long as we can."

Fuck. Giovanni could betray me so easily and tell someone else something that I told him in privacy. It was personal. I looked down ashamed. Ever had sex with someone you regretted having sex with. Imagine cheating on a lover. The dirty feeling you sometimes get afterwards. It was the best way to describe how it felt killing that cab driver. I acted on something so primitive to fulfill a desire and there was a regret. But I knew, nonetheless, that put in that same predicament, I'd do the same thing again.

"It's not his fault. I asked him to."

"I can see you two are getting a little too close than Decadence would like," Roxanne stated and laughed uneasily, "They are lovers...remember?"

I sighed heavily, "How could I forget?"

"He likes you though. He got himself in a heap of trouble. As well as the rest of us. I guess it wasn't only his fault, hence Giovanni being in there."

"What did he want with Giovanni?"

"Well Giovanni left us for a period in the past. He joined a group of vampires that called themselves the Sacrilege. They went against the church trying to get rid of all the rules that the church has in place. They are trying to bring back the old vampire, the one feared by humans. They are trying bring us back out of hiding. It's been so long that we have become a myth to the humans."

"What happened to the group?"

"Most were brought to justice. Giovanni happened to be one that got to his senses and left the group just in time. I assumed it was just a matter of time before the Dark Church came looking for him. Now it's just a matter of time before they come looking for the rest of us too."

She looked down.

She didn't seem too upset or worried about it. She wasn't like David. There may have been fear there. I didn't know at the time. There was one thing I'd come to learn about Roxanne. She was able to control her body in ways that none of us in the brood were quite capable of doing...even Decadence for that matter. She was stronger...she seemed...wiser.