4

When we were young Carter and I used to...play. I guess it doesn't matter. Kids play. It doesn't mean anything. It shouldn't mean anything at least. Truth was it always seemed to mean more to me than him.

I ask him to play like the Gargoyles. We loved the cartoon.

He can be Goliath. I'll be Demona.

But Goliath holds Demona. They are lovers. That's what lovers do. That is how I would argue and every time I'd have him hold me. That is what our Gargoyles did.

Funny what you think about when you drink blood...

We had survived the crash.

The impact had hurt. It hurt like shit even in this body. I felt Arie holding onto me trying to protect me from the crash. Arie was over me. He had his hand pressed up against my chest.

And after the crash we laid there. In all actuality we should have been dead. The impact had killed the driver instantly. Our bones had not shattered.

It was Arie who moved first. He kicked the door of the car off its hinges. It flew several feet away from the car from his excess strength. Then he grabbed me, forgetting all the idea about being gentle and pulled me with him as we went out of the totaled vehicle.

"I'm so sorry," I stated. It was such a cliché thing to say. One is sorry when they forget to call. One isn't sorry when they bite an innocent man's neck and causes a fatal car crash.

"The humans are looking they will ask questions if we stay here," he stated.

He grabbed my arms. He was right. There were people looking. Arie was bleeding on his forehead. The blood dripped from his open sore. I kept looking at it, still hungry. Still needing the blood.

But this time I knew the consequences. The people had gathered around to see what exactly had happened, but by that time we were all the way down the block. I was looking back to see their wonder. They were simply amazed at this.

"You've tasted it, you weren't supposed to yet," Arie explained.

"I'm so sorry."
"It was expected. I should have been smarter. You are too young to be out."

He was regretting bringing me. I could see it all in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I killed him. Oh my god...it's just hit me, I killed him," I stated.

"We only eat about once a month. Human blood is what we live on, nothing else. It is their life force that we need...not exactly the blood. The blood keeps us in touch with the smallest bit of humanity we have left. It keeps us alive."

I was murderer. I looked at my hands. I had just killed a man. I never could have dreamed it when I was younger.

"God...Arie I can't do this. I can't be a vampire."

"You have no choice."

"You've been more then kind to me," I told him, "But this isn't for me. Arie I killed someone just a few minutes ago!"

He shook his head, "Walk faster. The club is just around the block."

He was walking extremely fast. It wasn't extraordinary but extreme for the fact that I was speaking to him. It was like he was intentionally trying to change the subject.

"Arie you aren't listening to me?"

"That is a clue for you to shut up, Adam. You are walking too slow. You are a baby vampire not a baby human."

He kept changing the point.

"I killed someone!" I pressed into him.

"You did what you had to do!" he stated, "Stop acting like such a FUCKING human. You feed of them. You steal life from others because you really don't have any of your own. You aren't anymore. You understand? Get it through your brain."