17

"Don't wake him up."

The voice was hard and demanding. Without opening my eyes from the sleep I knew exactly where the voice was from.

When I did open my eyes I wasn't surprised to see Lilith standing there. We were still in the abandoned building. It was still day light. I knew Arie wouldn't be able to really wake up until night had come again. It had been such a busy day.

Lilith's essence was always so damn shocking. I didn't know how else to describe it. Every time I saw her, I had the feeling of a child getting caught. I remembered when Carter and I were younger. We used to do things to our foster parents. We used to hide their wallets just to laugh at how frustrated they got. They were childish pranks but at the end of the day they were the funniest things in the world to us. The look on our faces when we got caught was priceless.

Lilith always made me feel like I was a child...in trouble.

"How did you find us?"

"You younger souls deem everything a secret," Lilith explained and laughed steadily, "How have I ever found you. Why are you now so confused? How did you come to exist? How are you who you are? These are questions that you all can't answer. Only I can. Yet you seem to think that everything is such a big secret now. I am the oldest living thing. Look how much you have managed to know if your short lifespan. What secret can be hidden from me? How can you assume I don't know everything?"

My mouth went dry. Did she know something that she shouldn't have? Did she know about the plan to escape to Eden?
"I don't know what you are talking about," I feigned innocence, crossing my arms and not looking her in her eyes.

I felt maybe she could see the thoughts in my eyes.

"Have you noticed? Have you noticed the sunlight hitting me?" she asked me, almost as though her mind had completely wandered off to a whole different subject.

I noticed what she was talking about. Lilith had a bold beauty and beautiful. Now it was illuminated in golden sunlight. Her bald head reflected the lights of the sun.

"How is it that you can stand in the sunlight?"
"Necessity is the mother of invention," she stated and smiled, "I will teach you one day, perhaps. Until then remain in the shadows. For so many years they say that the sun is my enemy. They also want to believe that the earth is my enemy. They have described Lilith as being the entity of evil that has cursed the world. It is not so. My only enemy is mankind."

"And your own children...who you are killing."

She smiled at me, "In the wild, the lioness kills the cubs that she knows will not be able to survive. I am doing no more...no less..."

"What if they found a place that they could survive?"

I was putting everything on the line here. A part of me knew that I probably shouldn't let her know about the escape of the vampires to Eden, but for the most part everything screamed that she knew already. Like she stated, how can she not know everything?

She smiled at me and shook her head, "A haven? You think such a place exists. Have you lost your mind?"

"You know what I'm talking about."
"I know what you are referring to, but I know that YOU don't know what you are talking about," she stated and laughed in a monotonous tone, "You children are fools to go to Eden."

"Why is that?"

"Because that is how it is. I am older. I have been in Eden. I have left Eden on my own free will. You seek sanctuary but you'll find nothing more than ashes."