13

We were on the train station. I couldn't believe it. It really didn't make sense. I could see Giovanni's eyes burning into me. He didn't trust a thing. The rest of them weren't far off from his expression however. They all looked suspicious.

Arie didn't sit next to me on the subway train. He stood up, leaning against the subway doors next to an old woman.

Arie was standing next to me. He put his arm over me in this way that seemed as though he was really claiming me. I knew Carter noticed. I think that was the point that Arie was actually trying to get across. He wanted Carter to notice.

"The train is coming soon," he stated, "It'll take up uptown."
' "What's uptown..."

"The way to Eden."
Arie looked at him and laughed. I was glad Giovanni and the others weren't close enough to hear what Carter had said. They had gone away to feed. I knew what that meant. They would go drag some poor soul somewhere and kill him. They would suck him dry. Arie would probably be with them too if I wasn't here. He stood close though, realizing how disgusting I found the act.

"The way to Eden is uptown."
Carter nodded, "Harlem."

Arie looked over at him, letting go of me and taking a couple steps towards him, "You expect me to believe that you are going to take us to Eden from Harlem? You think I'm an idiot."

"Why would I lie to you?"

"Because you hate us," Arie stated digging his eyes, "You can't believe what we are can you? You probably went home assuming you were just dreaming. No, we are real. The monsters under your bed are alive."

"Adam isn't a monster, I'm doing this for him," Carter stated.

He looked right past Arie and looked at me as he said it. I could tell it annoyed Arie by how he rolled his eyes and Arie took a step back from Carter. He put his arm around me again, holding me close. This time he hung both hands around my torso and pulled me close. No it wasn't friendly. Even a blind man could see we were lovers.

The train station was dark, dreary. It felt comfortable though. I guess for monsters like me darkness was always the best.

Arie leaned in close to me, "You know Giovanni will rip this guy open if he misleads us. You know this..."

"He won't."

"Well I'm going to need you to start being careful around Giovanni anyway. I don't like how he...looks at you. He's going a little crazy. I guess we all are. For Carter's sake, I hope he's right."

I had been trying to reassure him this entire time. I looked at Carter as he looked down. He didn't seem to sure of himself. I knew Carter. I knew when he was positive, but he didn't seem positive now. He had no choice though. He had to take us to Eden. Arie was right. I couldn't imagine what Giovanni would do to Carter if he didn't take us to Eden. Hell, I couldn't imagine what the others would do to Carter as well. I couldn't protect him alone and I don't know if Arie would have even let me try to protect him.

I could sense the others coming. My sense of smell had increased so much. I looked back behind me and saw them making moves towards us.

Roxanne led them with Giovanni and David right behind her. She came up to us quickly.

"What time is it?"

"12 o'clock."

"Where's this train?" she asked, looking around suspiciously.

"It's coming. Any second now."

"What's wrong?" Arie asked looking over at her.

"We aren't alone."