9

Sometimes things happen that you don't really expect. I remember when I was younger, Carter used to remake fairytales. We'd be bored, staring up in the skies. Our foster parents had gone to bed at that time. He'd always start with...

"You know what really happened to Cinderella right..."

Or you know what really happened to Sleeping Beauty? Or you know what really happened to Rapunzel? No matter who he started with it all started the same. After Carter" said that, the story became weird. The story became twisted. What I expected to hear, I didn't hear. It was always different, sometimes sad and sometimes disgusting. Rapunzel ended up having hair extensions or Sleeping Beauty got diagnosed with chronic sleep apnea. And those were the versions that stayed with me, even until this day. The weird fucked up versions of the story was the one that I remembered. Soon the normal versions were what seemed different to me.

~

Silence was in the room. Tension was so thick that you could take a knife and it wouldn't easily cut through it. You'd need a hammer really. You'd need a hammer and chisel to break through the tension. I could only imagine how they felt, because I had an imaginative mind. I could take what I felt and magnify it to attribute that feeling to them.

She was still covered in jewels, but this time she didn't have the white silk covering her body. She stood there completely naked, in all her glory with strings of gold links draped from her neck to the insides of her thighs. Diamonds were attached to them. They were powerful huge stones that swayed along with her. They seemed to carry such a weight. I hadn't even known such big stones existed in the world.

Her head was still bald but she had on a headdress. It was really a Renaissance headdress, forming from a blue butterfly circlet that went around the head. It was like light chainmail how it dripped down to her shoulders.

She was the definition of a word that I hadn't yet heard.

She took a step and everyone seemed to breath heavy. It was like one big exhale like you find when watching the scariest part of the scariest movie in a packed theater full of children. I hope I don't lose you in my descriptions. For many years I thought about how to describe her this second time I saw her. I wanted to make it seem accurate, so that anyone would be able to feel the tension in the room.

She took another step...bigger gasp.

She took three steps and I could see the heavy set vampire who gossiped faint right in the middle of the floor. I still hadn't learned her name yet. No one helped her. Everyone just continued to stare.

I wish I could explain her facial expression but it would be hard for me to say. Maybe someone as old as Caesarion, if he was telling this story, would have a better vocabulary to describe the richness of her facial expression. She looked at all of us in our eyes with the strangest stare ever. The best way to describe it would be like an oxymoron where she seemed both utterly bored and completely interested at the same time.

"They have called me many names," she said silently, "In all regards, I am everything they have called me and more."

She spoke with such acuteness as though her words were placed to be deciphered. It was as though her one sentence held all the meaning of life in it. Why had she said it? It was the same statement she had made when she...when she came and killed me.

Her eyes met mine for the 2nd time that night but this time they stayed locked on it. She walked over to me. William was close to me. Had she come any later, he would have killed me. She ignored William though, gliding past him without even touching him. It was like she was maneuvering between statues. Everyone was frozen still in place.