6

It was almost 9pm when we arrived at the New York Public library in Mid-Manhattan. We had snuck out again because I was almost sure I still shouldn't have left the warehouse by now. Decadence seemed to not notice many things however. She spent a lot of her time by her candlelight. Arie said it was very strange behavior and that it'd be safe for us to get out unnoticed. The only one that would tell was David and he was too worried about keeping an eye on Giovanni. Arie seemed to be someone who kept his promises. The library was closed of course which made no sense why we would end up here.

"There," he stated pointing to the alley way.

Arie took me by the hand which he still did very often enough. He grabbed me. There was something so different about walking in the darkness all the time. It felt magical sneaking around as we were doing.

He smiled at me as we went to the door and he broke the latch with his barehands. He just bent the metal as though it was nothing, as though the lock was as light as a paperclip.

"The library is so peaceful at night. I've seen it transform right before my eyes. Unlike the others I was born and raised in America. They found me when I was traveling from a Native America reserve to Manhattan. I fell in love with the city. I fell in love with the books. They wouldn't tell me much about who she was either. I decided to take it upon myself to find out."

"You mean Li..."

"You can say it. We are in privacy."

"Lilith."

"Yes, her. Why doesn't it hurt you to say it like it does the rest of us?" he asked me.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean literally. There is a physical pain associated with her name. It is cursed."

"I don't know."

There was no physical pain for me. The name sounded so natural. It sounded like any other name. It was just another way that I was different. He looked at me with a weird look. It was suspicious like the others would have looked at me. It was just curious.

"Sit..."

I did as he stated and watched him disappear in the huge isles of the public library. I sat at the wooden table, smelling the oak. The place really did seem ancient.

Why hadn't I thought about this? Why hadn't I just decided to look up her name myself? It was such a clear thing to do.

In a little bit he came back with a book.

"She couldn't have made you," he stated to me, "And you have to be careful who you say that to. It is a very powerful person. You understand."

I looked down at the book, "I can't read this..."

"It's Latin. I'm sorry. I forget your age. When you get old enough you start seeking different knowledge. It is the Alphabet of Ben Sira. It's dated between the 8th and 10th Century. It was written by the descendents of kings in the area. The one whose name you can say is old."

"How old?"

"The oldest...ever. You know Adam and Eve..."

"Yes."

"What the church doesn't want you to know is that Eve wasn't Adam's first wife."

The idea came to me hard. He meant it to. I could see him pause allowing me to fully understand what he was insinuating.

"You believe that crap?"

"Do you believe in vampires? Because if you believe in it then you believe in her. She was the first wife of Adam. She was the Darkest. You understand. He created the Darkest out of the same clay that he made Adam under."