Chapter 13: A Bit of Curiosity

(Bella) 

The next day, Saturday, Jimin called to say that he had a little bit of time before his dance practice and wanted to have lunch with me. I had just finished reading one chapter out of the three I had to read today, so I said yes.

Jimin was being more flirtatious than usual at lunch. His expression would get very serious while his eyes looked from my face to my everything else. In my mind, I imagined that it was Seokjin looking at me with desire, and I felt my body involuntarily respond to him.

I could tell what was on his mind, so to distract him, I brought up the topic of his friends. "You guys seem to be very close. I've seen some of them on campus this past week. They have all been very nice to me."

"Oh, I'm sure they have," he said with a smirk. He scooted his chair closer. "I'd like to be really nice to you, too. You think we could--"

"And what about Seokjin?" I asked suddenly. I felt I would die if I didn't let his name pass my lips. Plus I also knew that it would definitely put a damper on Jimin's thoughts. "His apartment is much better than mine. What's his story?" I asked.

As expected, Jimin's expression turned sour. "Why do you want to know about him? Were you at his apartment again?"

I sighed. "I was just asking a question. I mean, he's your friend, and he's basically our neighbor. I just wondered if you knew about his background."

"Yeah. He's in graduate school, getting a master's in business," he said grudgingly. "His father is some rich bigshot who gives him everything he wants but is very demanding. He has a stepmother that he can't stand. There's a rumor that she made a move on him, and that's why he never goes home." He was pouting.

"Oh, how awful! But why don't you like him?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I like him well enough, but he's just one of those guys, you know. He has everything. He doesn't even need to be going to school. His dad has already set him up for life with some crazy trust fund. Is that enough? Why do you want to know so much about him?"

"If you don't want to talk about him, then tell me about your other friends. Cindy said Tae was very quiet, but Namjoon likes to talk a lot. I take a class with--"

"Why do we have to talk about my friends?" Jimin asked again. He seemed annoyed.

"We don't, I guess," I replied and took a sip of my soft drink. I looked at my phone. "Anyway, I should be heading back. I still have to finish some homework." We both got up and headed out the door.

"Hey, let's go to the movies tonight," he said. "A dark theater with me. Sounds good, right?" He tapped my shoulder with his.

I turned to him. "I'm sorry. I've already made plans with Cindy and some friends from the dorms."

"Can I come along?" he asked with a cute smile.

"Sorry, no," I said. He pouted. "But, hey, my parents are coming into town next Saturday, and Cindy and I are going to dinner with them. Want to come?" I asked slowly. Immediately I regretted it. We had not officially gotten back together, and it had been years since he'd had the courage to see my parents.

Jimin kept walking. He seemed to be thinking it over. "If you want me to come along, I will. Are you sure your parents won't mind?"

I smiled. "I'm sure they won't. But, please, remember that we are just friends, okay? I don't want them to get the wrong impression."

He smiled. "So, no hugging or kissing in front of them, huh?"

I felt myself blushing. "No! We're not...we've only just started talking again. It's not like we're involved or anything. Just friends, okay?"

He nodded. "Sure. Just friends." Then he whispered in my ear, "For now."

I was annoyed with myself for becoming so flustered with his comments. I always had a hard time resisting Jimin's charm. I hoped I wouldn't embarrass myself any further.