Chapter 19: Jin Meets the Parents

(Bella) 

My mother sat daintily on our sofa while my father was in the kitchen on his phone. Cindy and I were sitting at our small breakfast table. I could feel Cindy's eyes glaring at me, but I chose to ignore her. I had asked my parents if I could invite a friend without saying his name. They had looked at each other before turning back to me and saying yes.

Now we were waiting. Jimin should have shown up thirty minutes ago.

My father came back toward us. "I just got off the phone with the restaurant. If we do not show up within the next twenty minutes, we will lose our reservation." He looked at me accusingly.

I stood up. "We should go then. Something must have happened. He usually calls or texts if he'll be late."

"Usually?" Cindy added under her breath. I gave her a sharp look.

There was a knock at the door, and I brightened up. "See? I'm sure he's sorry he's so late. Everyone, let's go." I hurried to the door and opened it.

"Hi, Bella," Jin said in a soft, friendly voice. He was unrealistically divine dressed all in black. He looked like he was on his way to a photo shoot.

I was speechless in the face of so much handsomeness.

He held out a shiny silver cuff bracelet to me. "This must be your bracelet. I think you left it at my..." He stopped talking when he saw me shake my head 'no.'

"Who is that, Bella?" my mother called out. Too late! I took the bracelet and pulled Jin inside the apartment. Her eyes widened when she saw him. "Oh, my dear." She turned to me. "Sweetheart, I didn't know you had invited such a handsome young man. I am glad we waited."

"Mom!" I hissed under my breath. Even she was not immune to Jin's striking looks. He looked like he had just stepped out of the pages of a magazine.

Jin looked at me in confusion then turned back to my parents with a ready smile. "Good evening, ma'am. Sir. You must be Bella's proud parents. I am Kim Seokjin." He took my mother's hand and bowed over it.

"Oh, my," she whispered, clearly flustered.

Then he held out his hand to my father and gave him a sturdy handshake.

"Well, we probably lost the reservation," my father complained. "We will never get there in time."

"Oh? May I ask what restaurant and for how many?" Jin asked.

"The Ivy Terrace for five," Cindy said. "It's super hard to get in."

Jin nodded. "I see. Could you give me a minute? Let me see what I can do." He stepped out the front door and onto the sidewalk to speak on his phone. After a few minutes, he came back inside. "You're all set. Don't worry about the time. You'll have one of the best tables." He turned to me. "Just give them my name." He gave me a smile, then turned and bowed his head toward my parents. "Enjoy your dinner. It was an honor meeting you."

"Young man, are you not dining with us?" my father asked. "We've been waiting for you. You must come along."

Jin and I looked at each other again. I was about to speak when Cindy broke in.

"Just come along. We can't waste this much awesomeness," she said, grabbing Jin's arm and walking away with him.

I tried to remain calm, then motioned for my parents to go out the door. I remembered that I had left my phone charging, so I ran back to get it. No text from Jimin, but a missed call from Jin. I had already slipped the bracelet on my wrist before I realized that I had never actually seen it before. I got angry. Did Jin give me another girl's bracelet? I took it off and examined it.  I was confused, but then Cindy yelled for me to hurry up, and I slipped it back on my wrist and out of my mind.