Chapter 40: Apologies

(Jin) 

I was very annoyed when my friends insisted that I attend the Halloween dance on campus. I had no need to dance around like an idiot in public or to talk to people that I had no desire to know. But they kept hounding me. Even Yoongi, who usually does not care one whit what I do or don't do, said he was tired of my moping around like a mindless frustrated bull--whatever the hell that meant! I can only imagine he meant that as some dumb reference to sex. Hoseok and Joon told me that I might even find a girl at the dance, as if I'm remotely interested in hooking up with another girl right now. Tae told me that this Beast costume would be perfect for me, and I assumed he was furthering Yoongi's joke.

So I arrived at the dance a little after nine-thirty, hoping to sneak in while everyone was already dancing in order to avoid any conversation. Hell, I think I'd rather be hanging out with Jungkook playing video games than be here in this ridiculous costume. Why had the guys made such a big fuss about wearing this costume and going to this dance? I'm a graduate student, for heaven's sake. What am I doing here? After watching silently and alone from a corner for some time, I decided to leave. What was the point of being here if none of my friends had shown up?

I was about to start walking, when I saw someone in a bright yellow dress heading straight for me. Oh, I got it. Beauty and the Beast. I swore if the guys set me up with some random female, I would definitely kick their asses. I had told them repeatedly that I did not want any female company. My mind had been in turmoil ever since that unfortunate incident with Bella when I accused her of treating me like some meaningless one-night stand. I regretted my words and my reaction so much, but I couldn't take anything back. Still, I hadn't been able to stop thinking about her.

The girl started talking to me. It was Bella! Did she know it was me? It didn't appear that she did. She pulled me further back from the dance floor. She started talking about how I'd been right and that she was stubborn, and I thought that maybe she knew it was me, but then she asked if he would be here tonight. My heart beat a little faster wondering if she meant me. I was about to pull the stupid mask off, but then decided to continue listening. She said she wanted to know how I felt because if I didn't feel the same for her, she would never fall in love again. Wait, what?

Then Namjoon showed up, and she freaked out. I wanted to hear what she had to say, so I slowly removed my head mask. The shock in her face turned to horror as she realized what she'd done. She tried to leave, but Namjoon held her and told her to talk to me.

So we went to the lobby where it was quieter and brighter. I asked her to sit, but she said she preferred to stand, so I put the mask down and stayed on my feet.

"This is...I'm a little embarrassed," she said shakily, keeping her eyes down.

"Don't be," I replied. She looked so beautiful. My arms ached to hold her, but I kept them at my sides.

"First of all, I want to...apologize for the way I spoke to you that night. It was true that I was trying to distract myself from the pain of my brother's birthday, but you were never just...just a sex partner, not like that. I spoke out of anger and hurt. None of it was your fault. You've always been a gentleman with me. I had no right to treat you the way I did. You mean so much to me, and I never meant to hurt you. I didn't mean any of it." She looked up at me shyly. "I'm so sorry. Can you forgive me?"

Her very presence was disconcerting, and I just stared at her. It took me a while to notice that she had stopped talking and the expression on her face had turned to sadness. Her eyes looked like pools of water. What? She was crying!

"I guess...that's okay. I just wanted to tell you that I was wrong. I am sorry if I hurt you. That was never my intention," she said softly, her voice tremulous. "I hope I didn't bother you too much right now. Goodbye, Jin."

She thought I hadn't accepted her apology because I had been too overwhelmed by emotion to respond. She turned to walk away, and I hurried after her. "Bella, wait," I said, holding on to her arm. She did not turn to face me, so I stood facing her back. "Of course, I forgive you. But there is nothing much to forgive. I shouldn't have overreacted that night, but I was jealous. Yes, I was jealous of the way you were so tender with Jimin, and I was upset that I lost you to him. I was too full of my own anger that I didn't recognize that you were hurting and needed some understanding." I yearned to pull her close to me, but I just kept my soft grip on her arm as she faced away from me. "I am a stubborn, arrogant ass. I'm sorry, too. Bella, I miss you, and I just want to make it right between us. I've been miserable without you."

She slowly turned around to face me. "Me, too. I don't know what to say except...I love you."

This time I gathered her up in my arms and held her tightly against me. "Oh, my dear, sweet Bella. I love you, too. I knew it almost from the moment I saw you. There was something about you that made me feel giddy inside in a way I'd never felt before. Please say that you'll stay with me, my beautiful Bella."

"Always." She pulled away and held up one wrist. She was wearing the silver bracelet. "Thank you for this. It is the most beautiful thing I've ever owned."

"Nothing is as beautiful as you, Bella," I said and gathered her body into mine, pressing my lips to hers.