Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Mel! Did you talk to Jackson last night?" came Emily's panicked voice through the phone.

"How did you know?"

"Do you realize that this is the second time you've been in violation of your restraining order?"

Mellisa had forgotten about that. Had Jackson complained? She made no comment about it when she was talking to him, and she was in no way a threat to him either.

"I totally forgot about it. What do I do?"

"Call your lawyer. It's time to do damage control, because three strikes and you're going to jail."

"You know damn well that I can't afford a lawyer," Mellisa was fuming. "It's not even been twelve hours since I spoke to him. How did you find out?"

"I got a call."

"From whom?"

"I don't know. They hung up before I could ask. I'm trying to trace the call. Just stay low until we figure this out."

"Are you avoiding me?" Caleb asked Mellisa halfway through her shift.

"No! I'm trying to avoid the VIP wing."

"Why?"

"I'm not supposed to be around my brothers," she whispered to Caleb, looking around to make sure no one was paying attention to them.

"Why?"

"As if you don't know."

"I don't," he looked at her confused.

"You saw my file," Mellisa hissed at him.

"Only your med school creds. That was enough of an invasion. I've always just asked you whatever else I've wanted to know. What's going on, Mel?"

"I don't want to talk about it here," Mellisa muttered.

"Okay, got it," Caleb said looking around. "Changing the topic. Look what I got," he sang, holding a file out to her.

"What?" she asked, taking it.

"Take a look," he insisted.

She daintily opened the file. Reading the content inside made her see red. "Caleb, why won't you let it go?"

"Because this is your dream."

"Dreams change."

"Bullshit!" Their voices raised with very exchange.

By this time, they had gathered a crowd.

"No one works themselves to death at med school with everything else you had going on, only to up and quit at the last minute. You have one exam to qualify, Mel. ONE!"

"It's too late. I am where I need to be."

"Stop hiding behind excuses. You could be done in six months."

"I have other priorities. I can't afford to let go of any of them. You can't have everything, Caleb." She spat his name.

"What do you have to lose?" His tone was just as harsh.

"My daughter!" Her reaction was met with a loud gasp. Only then did the pair notice the crowd around them. The gasp had come from Eleanor Adams.

Unwilling to face anyone at the moment, Mellisa ran out of the hospital, ignoring the protests of the people she left behind.

Thick, fat tears streamed down her face. She'd created a big mess for herself. But her troubles were only beginning.

Mellisa reached home to be greeted by her overexcited daughter. Emily was over with Connor, dropping Amanda off.