Chapter 6 - Laurens

The sun slipped through the water as I darted through the reeds. I had a smile painted on my face as I found another flower to add to my armful. I hoped he liked flowers.

I hadn't stopped thinking about him since I saw him. I had to see him again. And I had to talk to him.

Peggy's idea was good, but I still had to pull it off. I was so nervous. What if he didn't like me? What if I couldn't find him again?

I had to stop it. I couldn't think like that. He wants to see me again, and I have to make sure I'm there in time. And, just in case he didn't like me, I was gathering a gift.

If everything went well, I'd know his name soon! My tail flicked happily just thinking about it. I wondered if he wanted to know my name.

While I was lost in my own thoughts and happiness, the sun began to set overhead. I let out a small yelp when I noticed how late it was, and swam much much faster.

Suddenly I hit into something, and my carefully arranged flowers and coral want flying.

I swam around cursing as I tried to recollect my things, sending a flurry of bubbles around me. Once I had finally collected everything, I looked up to yell at the person who had ruined my gift for the human.

"Eliza?!" I exclaimed, my anger almost completely knocked out of me.

She smiled coldly at me, her arms crossed. I felt uneasy, she was normally so sweet.

-

"What are you doing here Eliza?" I asked cautiously. Her expression was softening but I still wasn't sure. It didn't make sense for her to even leave the city.

She wouldn't look me in the eye as she mumbled "Just checking out that guy you wouldn't shut up about," She glanced up at me for a second, her eyes looked guilty, but not sorry.

I felt my anger start to bubble up again, she knew I liked him, "What do you mean 'Liza? Why?"

Even as I asked those questions, all I felt was confusion. Why had she given advice if she didn't care what I thought.

Her eyes kept shifting, looking at everything but me. She wouldn't answer. When she finally glanced up at me again, I was glaring at her.

"Eliza, please, just tell me why" I mumbled.

"Well I thought I might have more of a chance with him.." she muttered under her breath, like she hoped I wouldn't hear.

I knew that was what she meant all along, but I didn't expect it to hurt so much when she said it.

I felt tears prick my eyes. Eliza came closer to me, I thought she was going to apologise, but she just kept moving her mouth silently.

"Go away." I whispered. I didn't want her around, she didn't care about me. She wanted the one person who'd been kind to me all to herself.

"John, I really am so-"

"I said go away!" I spat. She tried to grab my arm but I pushed her off. Swimming away as fast as I could, tears streaming down my face.

I didn't know where I was going but I didn't stop moving until I was sobbing on a rock.

-

I heard a voice from nearby, and panicked for a second, before I recognised it as the voice of the kind human.

I hated that this was our second meeting, I didn't want him to see me like this.

I tried to focus on his words, I wanted to understand him so desperately. I wanted him to understand me. I wanted to talk to him and get to know him properly, find out if he liked sea flowers. Maybe if I tried hard enough we'd be able to communicate, and then I could get him to like me. That'd show Eliza.

I was getting distracted again, although it didn't matter, I couldn't understand him anyway. His words were meaningless, but I still felt calmed by them, I knew he was trying to help.

I reached my arm out of the water, trying to reach his hand. I wanted to be close to him. I wanted him to keep me safe.

My webbed fingers gave him a fright at first, and his reaction made me giggle a bit. Slowly he became more comfortable with me, and moved closer.

I rose up out of the water as much as I could, wishing we could stay like this forever.

Upload schedules are just out the window at this point, I hope you enjoy anyway. Xx