Chapter 3: Distant

When Mew returned home after the shooting, he thought  he had a good day. The shooting went fine although he didn't get to work with Gulf. The music video mostly revolved on his drums and the band.

However, he thought he had an uplifting day because everyone praised his drumming skills. The lunch with Gulf went alright. But he was bothered and unhappy.

"You came home tonight?" His mother jokingly told him the moment they meet each other in the kitchen. "You look exhausted.. ..freshen up quickly and come down for dinner. I've been waiting for you. " She said, almost whispering. He watched his mother and notice how genuinely happy she looked and it enlightened his heart.

"You look really happy, Maa". He said leaning on one of the door frame, " I've actually missed you a lot". He beamed at her.

"Well, I missed you more than you know. I didn't expect you to leave me alone last night". It made Mew Chuckle softly. "Now hurry and have dinner together with me".

He walked up to his room feeling elated to finally have a supportive mother. An honest life was so much better and easier, he realized. And it made him wish, Gulf was as liberated as him. But he dare not pressure his man. He believed that Gulf was someone who will overcome any challenges.

Dinner with his mother was a perfect balance with her meaty steaks and cheery chatter. His mother while serving her potatoes and salad, announced about his sister's new boyfriend.

"Maa – you never told me that sis Abigail was getting married?" He added suddenly remembering the text message he received from his cousin sister, Abigail, on his way home as his mother informed him about Achara's new man.

"I didn't? " His mother gasped, "I must have forgotten. Well, they send us in the wedding card last week. "

" I thought she would settle down when she started the restaurant business. " Mew pursued the conversation remembering how his Aunt Abigail  struggled  to commit in her eight years of relationship.

"Well her restaurant business was not picking up well during that time. You know, she's an independent lady."

"I figured."

"Speaking of marriage, you're not getting any younger too". His mother said and it erupted a lot of thoughts in his mind.

He had never imagined himself getting married before. In fact, he had never bothered about future because he never thought, he would find himself a partner to love in the entertaining industry. It still felt surreal that if everything goes well, Gulf would be the potential partner.

Does it mean I can actually get married someday? His heart thudded loudly. Could I possibly have a future with Gulf? He wondered.

"Mew?" He jolted at his mother's interruption. "What are you thinking about? You seem lost" said his mother smiling gently at him. "Thinking about getting married? "

He laughed instantly. Marriage, to him felt far from reality especially when Gulf was still a closeted one.

"Not going to happen anytime soon. Don't worry". He smiled at her and finished his dinner.

***

Mew's mobile phone was vibrating. He took it out and flipped it open.
Gulf's name appeared in its small screen and it made him smile. He missed him although it had been less than two hours since they aparted.

”Hey Gulf" He answered, looking up and down the footpath. He had just came out for a walk after dinner.

"Hey... What were you doing? " The tiny voice quacked from the speaker. He could hear Gulf breathing loudly.