Chapter 6: Irrationality

Gulf was finally back in his university. It had been a long day in class. It felt unusual to have had sit inside the classroom and simply listen and do nothing. Nothing much like an acting job, he thought.

"What's up? " Mark joined him giving him a can of coke. It was lunch break and here he was watching his friends kick football on the ground.

"I kinda miss playing" Gulf said as he watched August kick the ball into the net.

"Hm, oh! By the way, I have something for you." Mark said and quickly opened the zipper of his bag and took out a yellow color pamphlet and gave it to him.

"What's this?" He realized it was a programme for gay society in the university. "What the fuck, Mark" Gulf freaked out crashing the paper with his hand and quickly threw it on the ground. "Are you trying to get me killed? " He muttered in annoyance.

"Wow, I thought you'd like it. I'm just trying to help. " Mark protested cluelessly.

Although Gulf was aware of his friend's good intentions, it was absurd that Mark even considered the idea of him participating in such society openly.

"I think joining such club will help you feel less lonely" Mark added.

"Mark, firstly, I'm an actor. Also, you know, I'm not like most of them. " Gulf snapped, a little annoyed this time.

All the people he had seen participating in the gay society of his university were extremely flamboyant. He had never seen a gay man like him or Mew before nor could he imagine himself being in a flock with such people.

"Where's that coming from? That doesn't sound like a statement you'd make, Gulf. You all like men... What's the difference?" Mark's confusing tone taunted his ear and it aggravated him.

"For fuck sake, Mark! Drop it already" He then got up from the seat they were sitting on, "I'm leaving! " Gulf said standing up to leave.

Suddenly, Tia and Senty joined them calling for his name.

"Hey Gulf, someone's waiting for you outside the gate. " Tia reported as he sat down on the bench next to Mark.

"Who? " Gulf perplexed noticing  all his friends were right in front of him.

"Who else could it be other than your boyfriend" Senty teased giving a high-five to Tia.

"Whose boyfriend? " It was August joining them in the conversation as he came out from the ground. "Is there a faggot among us? "

Hearing them talk infuriated Gulf. He wish he could just admit it to their face, if only he has the guts.

"Wait...Isn't this the pamphlet distributed by the Gay society? " Senty asked picking up the crumbled paper from the ground.

"It is. Wait, how is it here, Gulf? Are we going to be seeing you together with the likes of sister Pay soon? " August sniggered.

All this time, Gulf was certain that their friends were only teasing him only because he was playing a gay role. But the comparison with 'Sister Pay' pissed him off.

He felt as though he was being judged and mocked at. Moreover, he felt offended when his friends began associating him to such flamboyant person like 'sister Pay'.

He know it was absurd on his part, because, he was not a homophobic person, nor had he ever looked down at those people. He had always been open to diversity and inclusivity but perhaps, the homophobic jokes ired him. Moreover, the inability for him to stand up for himself bothered him bitterly.

"It's not funny, guys!" He shouted at them indignantly and instantly, a brief silence followed.

Mark gave him a sorry look. It's your fault, Gulf silently thought.