Chapter 7: Coming Out?

Gulf was quiet as he asked Mew to drop him to his parent's place.

Mew parked by the curb in front of the yellow house with its overgrown lawn. It was the first time Mew was dropping him at his parent's place. Although he was ashamed of himself, he still could not manage to invite Mew in. He know, he could simply invite him as his friend, but he felt it would be injustice to the relationship they had. He wanted to introduce him as his partner when he finally bring Mew to his parents. Hence, he decided to drop the idea this time.

Gulf reached out into his wallet and pulled out a white envelope and handed it to him.“Read it later,” he said. The car door squeaked as he got out.

"Gulf... " Mew called out softly. "Take care. " He said, plastering a beautiful smile across his face that displayed he was fine and that he was okay with Gulf's decision.

"It's only for two days". Gulf replied back, satisfied. The fact that Mew understood him and was being patient with him made everything easier for him.

They then stood there staring at each other for a moment as though they were memorizing each other's faces and finally bade each other and Mew finally drove off.

Gulf took a deep breathe and walked into his home. It has been a week since his last visit to home but a lot has changed in himself. The last time he was here, he was drunk because he was freaking out after finding himself attracted to Mew. But now here he was returning again after confirming and confronting his feelings to a man. Somehow, it bothered him because he realized, it was unfair to keep his relationship hidden to his parents.

Speaking of his parents, he caught a glimpse of his mother in the backyard, perhaps, plucking some of his favorite vegetables from  her garden to cook for him. His mother loved gardening and would always cook him his favorite meal everytime he visited home.

He quickly ran up to his room, eager to spend some time with his mother alone.
But when he reached his room, his room room smelled of ordonil perfume and the tables had ashtrays instead of white cloth. It was light, clean and fresh. Perfect. His mother has absolutely taken care of it.

He kept his rucksack on the bag, and saving the shower for later, he ran down to meet his mother on the garden.

The garden was always a shade brighter in the sun with growing tendrils in every direction. He noticed, the grass has been mown so short that the ground shows through. The moss scuffed, rolling away from the soil like a carpet, its once strong greens yellowing in the heat. Gulf stood behind the fencing, satisfied with his mother's work.

The bonsai trees lined the perfect lawn in their wooden boxes. The flower beds were weed- free as clusters of defiant daffodils reared their golden heads amidst the gloom. And inside, the lenticels were ready to pluck which his mother was onto as she took the green beans into a basket.

"That's enough for dinner, Maa". Gulf said, hoping not to scare her but surprise her in the most kindest way he could think of.

His mother gave a quick turn and instantly, her weary but still beautiful face glowed with happiness.  She was more prettier with her hair tied into a bun like she had now.

" Gulf" She gasped excitedly, "I didn't thought you'd be home so early. " She said, coming over towards him.

"Well, a friend dropped me this time. " He said as he took the basket from his mother.

"I'm just picking vegetables for the dinner. I was thinking of making your favorite salad since you said you'd be coming" She said joining him outside the garden.

" I've missed you, Maa".

"So have I. Your dad haven't returned home yet. But Grace and Clarice is in the house. " She said as they walked towards their house together.