Chapter 10 - Meet the Parent (Part 2)

So they went in, hand in hand. Laura was supposed to open the door when it opened on its own. Standing there was Laura’s mom, Marjorie. “I thought you weren’t coming in!”

                “What? Why?” asked Laura.

                Taylor was just standing there, not letting go of Laura’s hand. She was afraid that if she did, her knees were gonna give up on her. She had never met a boyfriend’s parent before so she didn’t know if it was normal that she was feeling this nervous.

                “You’ve been parked outside the house for god knows how long. Come in, come in!” Marjorie then looked at Taylor. “Taylor, dear. Good to see you again!” She enveloped Taylor in a warm embrace.

                “Hi! It’s great seeing you, too,” Taylor finally spoke. With the warmness of Laura’s mom, she felt a little more at ease.

                They made their way to the living room. “Where’s everyone?” asked Laura. Their home was so silent it was deafening. Whenever she would go home, almost her whole family was there, and they were always loud, so this was a surprise for her.

                “They had other prior priorities they couldn’t cancel. They feel bad that they were going to miss this, though.” She then faced Taylor. “They said they’re just gonna meet you some other time, Taylor. I’m sorry, I hope you understand.”

                “Oh no, there’s no need for any apologies. It’s okay, I totally understand.” Taylor was actually quite relieved that it was only Laura’s mom who was there. It would probably gonna be ten times more nerve-wracking if everyone else was there. She also wanted to meet them, of course. Some other time, maybe.

                “All right then! I’m gonna go prepare our lunch. Laura, I’ve fixed your room. You are gonna spend the night here, yes?”

                Taylor looked at Laura and the latter gave her an ‘I-told-you-so’ look. She shrugged and then looked back at Marjorie. “Yes. Yes we are.” Good thing she followed Laura’s instruction of bringing extra clothes instead this happened.

                Marjorie clasped her hands together. “Good! Okay. So you go get settled. I’ll fix the table.”

-o-o-o-

                They were inside Laura’s room and Taylor kept looking around. “Wow. I really am inside your room.”

                Laura raised an eyebrow. “You’ve been in my room before. Both of them. You’ve also done things to me I’ll never forget,” she chuckled.

                “Yeah, those things I’ll probably won’t do to you in here. I mean, this is where you stayed as a baby, a toddler, as a kid! I can’t even imagine how cute you must have been back then.”

                “Well, I think Mom’s keeping all my photos from way back here somewhere, if you wanna see them. They have this habit of sending me my old photos whenever it was my birthday.”

                “Cool! I wanna see those things!” exclaimed Taylor.

                Laura laughed at how excited Taylor was. “So, how are you so far? Scared of my mom still?”

                Taylor looked up as if thinking. “Not as much as before. I’m still a bit nervous, though. I think I’m gonna feel a lot better after lunch.