04. sure thing, barbie

──── CHAPTER FOUR, sure thing barbie

     LATER ON THAT DAY, after the couple decided to go to the Cameron's house again. Kate saw Sarah getting ready to go to the boat, after all in was the only place that had air conditioning; thinking of that, Kate asked Sarah if she could come, her friend obviously accepted and took a bag of chips but they weren't only a bag of chips, they were Kate favorite chips. Rafe would always have them, knowing his girlfriend ask for a bag everytime she goes to the house. As the Thornton girl say goodbye to Rafe, both friends got out of the house.

"You know, I need this. Distract myself and have a good, relaxing day with my favorite friend" Sarah said as they were walking trough the dock while she opened the chip bag and started eating. Kate gave her a look and she instantly gave up to tell her what happened. "Topper and I argued"

"Really? Why?" It was Kate's turn to take the bag and eat her favorite chips, she was desperate to eat already.

"Remember when I told you that John B came in the morning after he kinda stole scuba? Well I don't know how but Topper figured it out and told me stuff like 'they're dangerous' 'get away from those low lifes' " she started to explained her friend and also mocking his voice which made Kate laugh but still feeling bad for the young couple.

"Yeah I know the feeling, it's like him and Rafe agreed to tell us the same thing about those guys" and after saying that, Kate remembered the fight her and Rafe had days ago after the boneyard party but thankfully they made things up.

"It's like they think we can't defend ourselves or cheat on them. I don't know how their minds work"

"They obviously want to be seen as the king and leader. They're men they tend to do that but listen to me; you have Topper on the palm of your hand just make him understand, he's a good guy with trust issues"

"Kinda like you" Sarah responded.

"Kinda like me. It's in Thornton's blood I guess" The older blonde said as she got lost in her thoughts while eating a chip and kept walking along her friend. Her look seemed empty.

Since Kate was a kid she never trusted on people so easily and she knows that's something that it can be a good thing but also a problem, sometimes she push people away just because she feels they don't like her anymore or don't want to be friends even though they're on good terms with her, she stay away until she doesn't speak to them at all. Before someone can hurt her she makes sure to hurt herself and don't go back, it's like she had a mental self shield protecting her from everything and anyone; not wanting people to get close to her just the enough amount of friends she knows and loves. This started when her father abandoned her family, she was 3 years old, just when Topper was born her father decided to disappear and not talk to her ever, like any other kid she started to ask herself what could she have done wrong that even her own blood left her, he didn't love her or Topper enough to stay.