CHAPTER TWELVE

A/N- Thanks so much for the 600+ reads. I have the best readers in the world.
You all are the best.💗💗

"What's wrong dear?" Mom asked me immediately she saw my puffy face and my red eyes.
"Nothing... I just want to get out of here." I muttered.

"You have..." Mom started to say but I cut her off, "Mom, I just needed a ride home after having a breakdown, is it wrong if I asked my mom? Or am I truly a brat if I don't want to talk about what made me have a breakdown when I'm still shaken up."

Mom smiled a bit, "Always making me sound like the villian. Just know that the villian just picked you up from school and isn't doing the mom thing by asking why you are leaving school before school is actually over. I'm being the 'cool mom' by saying okay to you cutting school. So add it to my list of good deeds." She teased.
I almost smiled 'cause this was the mom I knew and loved before the whole cancer shenanigan.

"I'll definitely add that to the list,  'cool mom' who let me ditch school." I said smiling widely this time.
Mom laughed so hard that I was soon joining her. While we were laughing, I noticed how mom has lost considerable weight and how worry lines were etched in her forehead. So I wasn't the only one who this cancer was taking a huge toll on.
I decided there and then that immediately we get home, we were going to talk. I wasn't the only one hurting and I can't keep pushing my mom away.

Immediately we got inside, mom went to sit at the table. She brought out her laptop to continue working from home.
After much internal debate, I finally got the confidence to walk up to her.

"Mom, can I please speak to you?" I squeaked.
"Yeah... Sure." Mom quickly cleared away her work stuff like she's been waiting for this moment for a really long time.
I quickly settled on the chair in front of her and cleared my throat.

"Mom, I want to apologize for being the worst daughter ever. For pushing you away and for acting like a fool. I never realized who were hurting, even more than I was. I mean your daughter got diagnosed with cancer and then forcefully pushed you away from her side. I understand that you never told me to get surgery for selfish reasons rather you wanted me to take a chance once more in life. I'm sorry for everything and for acting like a spoilt brat." I apologized shakily.
"Oh... Hailey." Mom cried out as she stood up from her chair and came to hug me tightly as tears were running down her cheeks.

"I know you must be really mad at me." I cried.
Mom shook her head vehemently as she withdrew from the hug so she could stare at me in the face "I can never be mad at you. You're my daughter, plus I understand that you are also going through pain. It's just that I saw you become bitter and all that, I just wanted to see you smile again no matter the cost. So when the doctor said that there might be a chance, I wanted you to take it for a chance to smile again. So that's why I kept pushing you to do it, sorry I pushed too hard. It's just that I felt really powerless as your mom. My baby was hurting and I didn't know how to ease the pain. I'm also sorry for retreating." Mom apologized.

"Mom, it's fine. If there's anyone that needs to apologize, it's me."
"It's fine. So we are okay?" Mom asked like she couldn't believe this moment was happening.
"Yes we're okay. So you can wake me up for school like you usually do, or tell me I am being annoying. Also, you can always come to my room and not look climb down and up the stairs everyday in doubt." I smiled.

"You noticed?" Mom asked with a smile on her face.
"Yeah... I did. I never knew that people could be so indecisive about climbing stairs." I teased mom.
"Don't blame me, you actually have a mean stare that can make one cry. You can be in the military cause even the enemies poo on their pants by you merely stating at them."