CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

A/N- Heyyy everyone! How're you doing? Hope you all are good and are hanging on despite this pandemic?
Here's an update,
Enjoy 🥂

After two days of making the list with Mason, I decided it was time to tell the girls of my illness. Mason already informed me that he told Ryder and Xavier yesterday at school. So I knew it was time to tell them. I don't know how long they can keep themselves from showing the emotion and thereby making Scarlett and Brittany find out before I can tell them and honestly, I really want to tell them personally. I want them to hear it from me and not anyone else. So I sent a message on the group chat in the evening that they should please come to my house.

It wasn't long when I heard the doorbell ring. So I went downstairs to open the door. Mom and Dad we're still at work so now was the perfect time. I really want to have this privacy with my friends plus we all know that the word 'cancer' is my mom's trigger button to start bawling. I really and honestly can't console so much people right now. I'm not in the right mental space for that.

"Oh my gosh! I finally get to see the slacker. Where have you been babe?" Scarlett said, kissing me on both cheeks before she entered the house followed by Brittany.
"So how have you been?" Brittany asked immediately I shut the door to room.
"Oh... I've been well. As good as I can be." I smiled a bit.

"So what's up? Why did you call us? Not that it's bad that you called us, but it's a school night so it's obviously not to hangout." Scarlett said.
"I think you guys need to sit for this." I gestured towards the bed.
"I mean we always sit, but you telling us to sit, this must be really serious." Scarlett said as she sat beside Brittany on the bed.
"So what's up? Why has her royal highness summoned us?" Scarlett joked.

I decided to use the band-aid theory to tell them the news. Rip it off quickly so it hurts once.
"I have cancer." I blurted out.

Scarlett started laughing. I looked at her really confused but she kept on laughing.
She wiped the tears from her eyes that came out during the course of her laughter, "You're joking right?"
Brit's hoarse whisper came after, "I don't think she's joking Scarlett."

Scarlett's head whipped in my direction, "I'm sorry... What?"
"Yeah, I have cancer." I nodded.
Brittany's strangled cry came out so loud as she fell on the floor, "No,no,no... It can't be. How can you have cancer? This is so unfair."
I sighed sadly as I hugged her tightly while tears flowed from my eyes with no inhibitions, "It's God's will. Okay? It's God's will."

Brittany kept crying as Scarlett stayed rooted to the spot. She wasn't showing any sort of emotion, it was like she suddenly went stone cold. Like she was still in shock.
"I got to go." Scarlett quickly rushed out of the room like fire was lighting her tail.

I wanted to go after her but Brittany was still crying in my arms not even aware of what was happening.
After probably an hour of crying, seriously I knew if we both checked the mirror we'll discover that we can collect the award for the most ugly girls in history. With our red-rimmed puffy eyes and our sunken cheeks.

"You'll be fine, Okay? You'll be fine. Do you understand?" Brittany said but it looked like she was reassuring herself rather than me. She was trying to find consolation in the whole situation.
"Yes... I'll be fine. So will you. Besides, I'm not ready to go yet. You still have weeks of me bugging you and slamming your car door." I teased her.

She laughed sadly, although the laughter wasn't like Brie's normal laughter where her eyes became smaller, the sound of her laughter is like a soothing balm. I was sad she wasn't laughing that way but for now it won't be possible.
"I'll be fine, and so will you and Scarlett," Brie was saying when she looked around and discovered that Scarlett was no where to be seen. So she turned to me and asked, "Where is Scarlett?"

"She ran out few minutes after you started crying." I shook my head sadly.
"Oh... Scarlett, we both know she'll take this harder than me. Scarlett wears her heart on her sleeves. She must be really hurting." Brie lamented.
We both knew how Scar was, she was the most sensitive amongst us.

"Please, keep checking up on her."
"Of course... I'm going to her house right now." Brie said, as we both started walking out of my room. We walked downstairs as I opened the door for her.
I was about shutting the door when Brie called my name, "Hailey."
"Yeah?"
"Fight this okay? You can do this. Don't give up."
How do I tell her that I don't think I have the zeal to fight this? That I haven't found a worthy cause yet?
I just smiled sadly, "I'll try."

She nodded and left. After thirty minutes that Brie left, I heard another knock on door. I knew it wasn't Mason obviously 'cause he rarely used the front door, it wouldn't be my parents cause they have the key and it wasn't my brother 'cause he isn't scheduled to come back yet.
I went downstairs and checked the peephole and discovered it was Scarlett. I hurriedly opened the door.

"Scar? What are you... Ooff." I gasped when she threw herself at me.
Scarlett's hair was all over the place, her eyes were puffy showing that she's been crying her eyes out.
"You don't get to leave... You don't get to leave for any reason at all. Do I make myself clear?" Scarlett hiccuped as she kept repeating this as her sobs racked her body.

"But..." I tried talking but she withdrew from the hug and held me by my shoulders.
"No... No... No, don't argue with me. You don't get to leave for any reason whatsoever, okay?" She asked again.
I simply nodded my head and pulled her into a hug. After like five minutes, Scarlett pulled away.
"I'll be going now... Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Scarlett wriggled her brows in the direction of Mason's house.
I shook my head and laughed lightly.

I'm so glad that after the first initial tears, everyone is trying their best to treat me as normal as possible.
"Thanks for the advice mum Scarlett." I teased her.
She glared at me as she stalked away from me. I burst into uncontrollable laughter as I called out to her.

"Goodnight mum Scar, don't let the bugs bite."
She gave me the middle finger while I started laughing as I shut my door.
I got upstairs and saw I had five missed call from Mason. I was about to call him from my balcony, when I saw a paper on my night stand that wasn't there before.
I picked up the paper to look at it.

When I opened it, I discovered that it was the school exeat I needed to leave school for two weeks and accomplish some of my heart desires.
"So what do you say? Ready to conquer the world?" A voice said behind me.
I turned sharply and saw it was Mason. I hit him lightly on the chest as I placed my other free hand on my chest, "You scared the living daylights out of me."

"Sorry about that." Mason smiled not feeling sorry one bit.
"So are you ready to take this huge leap?" He asked the same question he asked before but in a different sentence.
I smiled widely at him, "As ready as I'll ever be."

I have made a sole decision and that is- Cancer doesn't get to rule my life. Period!

A/N- Yeah! Don't let your challenges weigh you down.
Rise up and say you can do it.
Rise up again!

Till the next update,
Bye💃