42. Bon voyage

The saying 'butterflies in my stomach' is an understatement. Butterflies don't come close to describing the explosion of nerves you feel as you strap the seat belt of the pod on.

Before you shut the door of the pod, you place the earpiece Taehyung created into your ear and push the button on it.

"Guys, can you hear me?" You say as you flick the switch to your right, shutting the door.

A few seconds later you hear a couple of 'yeah's.
"I'll open the sky view window." Minji says.
You soon hear the sliding mechanical sound of the window above.
"Is everyone ready? Have you all made the pods invisible?" She asks.

"Yes. Should we turn the oxygen system on now?" Jin asks.
Minji says yes so you push the button above your head and get ready for take off.

"I'll follow behind you four so I can see all of your pods through the window. Make sure to turn the invisibility off after we enter space." Minji says. You all comply and start to hover the pods.

Yoongi says he'll leave first followed by Jin then you, Jimin and finally Minji.

As you get higher and higher, the knot in your stomach grows. You lean forwards to catch a glance of Earth below through the window in front of you and you begin to feel queasy.

One wrong move, one malfunction and... you'd be falling to your death.

"The pressure meter is rising. Turn on the compressor in 3...2...1... now." Minji says into her earpiece.
You pull a lever down and hear a hissing sound.

"Make sure to keep checking it, if something isn't right, tell me." Minji instructs.

"How are you guys doing?" Jimin asks.

"Good I think." Jin nervously laughs.

"The view is so pretty but so scary at the same time." You sigh, watching the sunset casts hues of orange and yellow across skyscrapers and high rise buildings.

"I can't wait till we leave the stratosphere, I bet space is prettier." Yoongi mumbles and you hum in agreement.

"Activate the fireproof shield and climate control now. It's going to get hot as we rise but when we get into space the temperature will start dropping again."

You listen to Minji and do what she says.
"Guys... my shield isn't working. It says system error on the screen." Jimin mutters, shocked and voice laced with fear.

"What?!" You exclaim.

"Minji? What does he need to do?" Jin gasps.

Minji takes a breath and thinks.
"You need to turn to the touch pad, do you see it?"

Jimin replies with a hasty yes.
"Okay, first, make your pod visible, then go to the touch pad and click 'manual override, shutdown'."

"...You want me to shut my pod down? Won't it fall? You can't be serious?!" Jimin exclaims.

"Jimin you don't have much time. Shutting it down will reboot the system. The shield isn't faulty I believe it's only a malfunction. Do it Jimin, do it now because in a few minutes your pod will burn." Minji bellows.

But Jimins pod doesn't turn visible.
"Jimin do it! Listen to her!" Yoongi yells.

"Quick!" You say.

You hear Jimin let out a shaky breath.
"O-Okay..."
his pod comes into view.
"But I-I need to say something."

"Jimin you don't have time!" Yoongi yells.

"I-... Y/N... I love you."
Then, his pod starts falling,  increasingly fast.
You don't know what to say, what to think. It's a surprise to you, you didn't expect him to say anything like that.