𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗠!

the group all sat and chilled in the tent for ages, talking and joking.

they all led down, james laying next to jake with her injured face rested on her arm, her eyes fluttering shut every so often.

corey started 'telling a story' about some friends in the woods and a shadow man. jake kept his gaze on james most of the time, studying her face, oblivious to the other three boys smirking at each other smugly.

a strand of hair fell down in front of james' face, and jake absentmindedly reached out, gently brushing it away from her face and smiling at her relaxed expression.

sam nudged him and raised a brow, making jake look around at colby and corey also, going slightly pink at their smiles and questioning looks. he brushed them off, resting his head down as corey continued with his 'story'.

'and all the best friends lose their best friend because he got married!!'

'point is, never get married folks.'

sam froze, jake sitting up to speak.

'yo can you tell the story corey about us-'

'wait wait wait.'

'wait what the fuck was that?'

'what'd you hear?'

'it sounded like a-' sam imitated the breathy noise, making everyone think about what it could be-minus james, who was still led sleeping.

'shut- up!'

'is that what you heard?'

'like an exhale?!' colby chimed in, corey holding up his hand.

'wait wait wait, everyone be quiet for two seconds.'

they sat in silence, jumping as james suddenly let out a slight whine of discomfort, rolling over in her sleep, causing all the boys to look at her in concern for a second.

'yo should we just try to go to sleep?'

'no!'

'i think we should.'

'i'm staying up all night! you want to sleep and never wake up again?'

'if we sleep we won't hear any more noises and we won't be scared anymore.'

'that's not true.'

'yeah we might just be overreacting.' sam cut in, the attention being drawn towards him. 'it might be all in our heads'

'dude- sam.'

'what?'

'you know what i was thinking about?'

'what?'

jake contributed with a line from a song, 'i was busy thinking bout boys.' making them glance towards him, although not verbally reacting.

'in the stanley- the dreams of us running,-'

'sh, sh, sh! i just heard an exhale and there's footsteps, out of the tent. i'm actually being dead serious, i'm being dead serious.'

'yo yo yo, it's the same exhale that just happened.'

another whine came from james, her muttering a 'jake?' as she sat up, leaning on her elbow and rubbing her eye with her other hand, flinching slightly at the bruise around it.

'hey, hey. we're here but you need to shush, we think we heard something.'

she nodded at jakes words, slumping into a slouched sitting position, her legs curled in her sleeping bag.