XV

THE JAGGED face of a huge ice wall sits gloomily in the dim twilight of a Hoth day

THE JAGGED face of a huge ice wall sits gloomily in the dim twilight of a Hoth day. Luke is hanging upside down, his ankles frozen into icy stalactites, his extended arms within a foot of the snow floor. One side of his face is covered in a dried mask of frozen blood.

'Luke,'

Luke was beginning to stir away.

'Luke,'

"Fr- Fre- Freya-?" Luke slurs.

He opens his eyes as a chilling moan of the hideous ice creature echoes off the gorge walls. He takes in his surrounding, briefly but then wondered why he was thinking of Freya. Shaking his head, Luke decides to pull himself up, grabs hold of his ankles, and futilely tries to unfasten the throngs.

Exhausted, he drops back into his hanging position. As he hangs there, he spies his lightsaber lying near a pile of his discarded gear, about three feet out of reach.

He focuses on the saber and as his hand strains toward the weapon, he squeezes his eyes tight in concentration.

'Luke,'

Luke takes in a breath.

Just as the ice creature looms over Luke, the lightsaber jumps into Luke's hand. The young warrior instantly ignites his sword, swinging up, and cuts himself loose from the ice. He flops to the snow in a heap.

The startled creature moves back, his giant yellow eyes blinking. Luke scrambles to his feet, he swings his saber and the beast screams in pain.

Luke then stands there, looming over the creature that had injured him and brought him int the gorge to do whatever the creature had in plan for him, now in the snow, dead.

Luke winced, but he turned off his saber.

Luke staggers out of the gorge into the dark and snowy twilight. Weak and exhausted, Luke stumbles down a snow bank.

{EMPIRE STRIKES BACK}

FREYA STOOD near the entrance of the hangar, she was covered in a thicker jacket. She stood there, looking out in hope of seeing Han return with Luke. She hoped that Luke got lost coming back to the base and should be back any moment.

Freya glanced to next to her. The small blue and white astro-mech was next to her. The droid was beeping worriedly. C-3PO moves stiffly over to him.

"You must come along now, R2. You as well Miss Freya," 3PO says, "There's really nothing more we can do. And my joints are freezing up."

R2 beeps long and low.

"Don't say a thing like that! Of course we'll see Master Luke again. He'll be quite alright, you'll see." 3PO says and turns to Freya, "Right, Miss Freya? I am certain Captain Solo has found him and is bringing him back as we speak."