XXII

IN THE clearing behind the house of the Jedi Master Yoda, Luke again stands upside-down, but his face shows less strain and more concentration than he had before

IN THE clearing behind the house of the Jedi Master Yoda, Luke again stands upside-down, but his face shows less strain and more concentration than he had before. Yoda sits on the ground below the young warrior. On the other side of the clearing, two equipment cases slowly rise into the air.

Nearby, R2 watches, humming to himself, when suddenly, he, too, rises into the air. His little legs kick desperately and his head turns frantically, looking for help.

"Concentrate- feel the Force flow. Yes. Good." Yoda speaks, "Calm, yes. Through the Force, things you will see."

Luke has his eyes closed.

"Other places. The future- the past. Old friends long gone." Yoda said.

Luke suddenly becomes distressed. He had sensed something. Something terrible that will happen to his friends. His eyes frantically open wide.

"Han! Leia!" Luke yells, "Freya!"

The two packing boxes and R2 fall to the ground with a crash, then Luke himself tumbles over onto the ground.

Yoda shakes his head, "Hmm. Control, control. You must learn control." He says.

Luke looks spooked, "I saw- I saw a city in the clouds." He recounts.

Yoda nods, "Mmm, friends you have there." He says.

Luke looks worried, "They were in pain." He grits his teeth just at the thought of his friends being harmed.

"It is the future you see," Yoda says.

Luke looks at the green creature, "Future?" He sounds worried, "Will they die?"

Yoda closes his eyes and lowers his head, "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." Yoda tells Luke.

Luke stands.

"I've got to go to them," Luke says.

Luke begins to walk.

Yoda looks up at the young man, "Decide you must how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could. But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered." He says.

Luke is stopped cold by Yoda's words. Gloom shrouds him as he nods his head sadly. A decision needed to be made. Continue his training or save his friends.

{EMPIRE STRIKES BACK}

THE POWERFUL pirate starship blasts through space as it heads towards the soft pink planet of Bespin. It is down on the gaseous planet. Huge billowing clouds form a canyon as the ship banks around them, heading towards the system's Cloud City.

Suddenly, two twin-pod cloud cars appear and move towards the Falcon. The cloud cards draw up alongside the starship. One of the cloud cars opens fire on the Falcon, its flak rocking the ship.