XXII

CHEWBACCA IS in a Cloud City prison cell

CHEWBACCA IS in a Cloud City prison cell. The stark room is flooded with hot light. To add to Chewie's misery, a high-pitched whistle screeches loudly. Chewie is going mad.

He hits the wall with giant fists as he paces back and forth across the cell floor. The upper lights go off abruptly. The prisoner rubs his eyes and moves to a wall, where he listens for a moment. Then, moaning to himself, he moves to a platform where the disassembled pieces of 3PO lie. He picks up the golden droid's head and meditates on it for a moment, barking a few philosophical remarks.

Chewie sticks the robot's head on its torso and starts adjusting wires and circuits. Suddenly, the lights in 3PO's eyes spark to life as Chewie touches two connectors together. 3PO immediately begins to speak, but his voice is so slow and so low as to be nearly unintelligible.

"Mmm. Oh, my. Uh- I- uh- take this off!" 3PO spoke, "I- uh- dn't mean to intrude here. I don't- no, no. No. Please don't get up. No!" 

Chewie looks at 3PO in bewilderment, then scratches his furry head. He gets an idea and adjusts some connections, whereupon 3PO immediately begins speaking normally.

"Stormtroopers? Here? We're in danger. I must tell the others. Oh, no! I've been shot!" 3PO says.

Chewie barks at his friend in sadness.

{EMPIRE STRIKES BACK}

DARTH VADER strides through the room as two troopers prepare an elaborate torture mechanism. Han is strapped to a rack which tilts forward onto the torture device.

Vader activates the mechanism.

The devices creates two bursts of sparks, one of which strikes Han's face. Despite him trying to look away, he had no choice.

Vader looks at the spacepirate one last time, before heading out the doors.

The doors open, just as Vader leaves the torture room Han Solo screams a sharp, piercing cry of agony. Outside the room, who also listened to this, was Boba Fett and Lando.

"Lord Vader," Lando spoke looking at the Dark Lord.

Vader turns to Fett, "You may take Captain Solo to Jabba the Hutt after I have Skywalker." He says.

Han's screams filter through the torture room door as it slowly closes. Vader begins to walk away, with Boba Fett and Lando following him.

"He's no good to me dead," Boba Fett says.

Vader still looks at the bounty hunter, "He will not be permanently damaged." He tells Fett.

Lando then speaks up, "Lord Vader, what about Leia, Freya, and the Wookiee?" Lando asks.

Vader turns to Lando, "Princess Leia and the Wookiee will remain here in this city." He answers.

Lando is taken back, "And Freya?"