Chapter 11

*Kanaya's POV*

I accepted the fact that she was Rose's neice... It just surprised me... Why hadn't Rose looked for me? Why did she just... Leave?

I paced around my small "room", mumbling to myself, asking questions.

Did she know I was here? If she did, why didn't she look for me? I haven't seen her since the game crashed which was nearly a year ago... She was so young then. Why was she older now? Did she even love me?...

I wiped another green tear away as I cried silently, still pacing. Something wasn't adding up. I had to know if she was ok. If she cared anymore. I wasn't proud of it, but I stole something. To be honest, I didn't nessecarily steal it. I just found it and havn't given it back yet. That's all...

It was Cynthia's phone. She must've dropped it during our conversation. I barely new how to work them, but it couldn't be any different from our technowledgy could it?

I turned it on and watched as it buzzed, popping up with missed messages from "Aunt Meg". I tapped her contact with my finger and watched as their conversation popped up. I tapped "send a message" and a human keyboard appeared on the screen. I typed and watched the small letters appear on the screen.

"Rose?"

I waited for a reply. Nothing. Then finally:

"Cynthia?"

"Rose I Have To Talk To You."

"Stop typing like that... I've told you before not to. You should know better. And my name is Meg."

I stared at the screen, confused. She must've thought I was Cynthia.

"Rose Please... I'm Sitting Here Crying Because Of You... I Just Want To Know What Happened... Please."

There was a long pause before she replied.

"Kanaya?..."

"Yes, Rose It's Me! Please Just Listen To What I Have To Say..."

The phone started buzzing and I almost dropped it in surprise. I held it firmly and read the glowing screen.

Call from: Aunt Meg

I clicked "answer" and held it up to my ear.

"Hello? Rose??"

All i heard was sobs on the other end. Green tears had been streaming down my face the entire time.

"K-kanaya?" I heard someone force out. It was no doubt my rose.

"Rose, I'm right h-here... Why didn't you come see me?..."

"W-when?"

"When you dropped your neice off..."

Another sob.

"I couldn't face you... I'm engaged now Kan... I-i'm fifty... You're still what? S-seventeen?"

"Rose please i-i just need to see you... A-atleast tell me what happened..."

"To whom?" She asked quietly.

I let out a small laugh but it was covered up by a sob. Even in the worst of times, she still used proper grammar...

"To John and Jade! And your brother Rose! What have you heard of him?"

"Kanaya..." She spoke lowly, "He got married to Jade... And they had a child. They both died in a car wreck two years ago..."

I covered my mouth with my hand. Dave Strider was dead... Jade Harly was dead... But Cynthia Strider was very much alive...

"Cynthia is basically your neice Kanaya... I still love you... I really do... But the age difference... The engagment... I'm sorry..." She spoke quietly and barely audible. "If there was any way it could change, I'd do it in a heartbeat... But until something works out... I love you Kanaya..." She finished with a sob and I heard a click.

I ended the call as well and stared at the phone. It saddened me to look at it anymore... I opened my boxcar door and stepped out, walking to Gamzee's. With a heavy heart, I sat the phone at the closed door, knowing they'll find it when they walk outside.

I wiped my tears away and rushed back to my boxcar. It'd be a few hours before we had to take the tent down. I might as well get some sleep...

My last thought being of Rose, I closed my eyes and drifted away to simpler times.