viii

.•° ✿ °•.
𝙧𝙮𝙪𝙟𝙞𝙣
°•. ✿ .•°

────.•°•.〔✿〕 °•.•°────

ryujin always thought dating hyunjin would be like a dream. it was anything but. don't get her wrong, hyunjin was nothing but good to her but his mind was always somewhere else, his heart with someone else. seungmin, she assumed.

though she only started talking to hyunjin a few months ago, ryujin had gone to school with the duo since she was in kindergarten. of course with her being a year younger and all she'd only ever seen them during school assemblies or at various functions through the years. seungmin and hyunjin had always been attached by the hip, inseparable. that was until she came along.

ryujin had never meant to separate the two. she wasn't think thinking straight at chan's party. her mind was consumed by a one-sided infatuation for a boy who only thought he felt the same. hyunjin loved seungmin and that was obvious to her. she was just able to suffice hyunjin's parents' expectation. she was smart, pretty, and ultimately she was a girl.

she wasn't angry at hyunjin, but she felt guilty for keeping hyunjin away from the boy he loved. and it didn't make ryujin feel any better that seungmin was completely head over heels for him as well.

ryujin saw the way seungmin looked at him in the cafeteria. it was as if his entire world revolved around just hyunjin. and though hyunjin would probably never admit it, he looked at seungmin the same whenever he would sneak a glance thinking no one was looking. but ryujin was. she didn't want to get between that.

she swiveled around in her desk chair and stared at the pictures up on her wall of her and hyunjin. his smile never reached his eyes like it did when he was with seungmin.

"yeji?" she called out to the girl lying on her bed.

their backpacks were discarded on the floor along with the long forgotten history project due a week from now.

"yeah?" her friend replied.

ryujin's eyes were glossy. "i think i'm going to break up with hyunjin."

yeji looked up from her phone in shock, her eyes the size of a quarter. "you're what?! but you've only been dating for like two weeks! ryujin, you've been pining after him for fucking years. are you sure about this?"

ryujin held back her tears. "i-i think i am. i want him to be happy. i don't want to hold him back just because i'm being selfish."

sympathy filled yeji's face but it only made ryujin feel worse. the older spoke again.

"well whatever you decide to do, i'll always be here for you if you need me."

— 〔✿〕 —
ryujin's mission (1/2): break up with hyunjin
— 〔✿〕 —

ryujin tapped her foot as she peered out of the freshly cleaned window of the café she was sitting in. she held the coffee that had been untouched for a little too long against her lips, scrunching her nose in distaste as the tepid liquid hit her tongue.

ding!

the bell on the door chimed loudly and ryujin glanced up to see hyunjin walk in. her breath hitched. she had let out all her tears at home so now all she could do was hope that she wouldn't breakdown again here.