T w o

Kageyama's POV

I'll be honest— I was shocked whenever Daichi had surprised us with a practice game against Aoba Johsai. I always had to brace myself upon seeing Oikawa-san again and I understand that's cowardly of me, but it's true. I've been terrified of him since middle school, despite me being nice to him; asking him for advice on how to get better.

What's more scary is that he gets along with Hinata so well— he even learned sign language! Oikawa-san is always so thrilled to see that dumbass, but I'm mostly clueless to why he's usually that way.

Once the game ended, I selfishly ditched Hinata. He hoarsely tried to call out my name to grab my attention, but I ignored him. It was awful of me, I'm aware, but I needed to know how to communicate with my partner more effectively.

Since I was in deep thought, I was home in a heartbeat. I greeted only my mother, as my father was traveling for 'business reasons'. I arrived in my room and I opened my laptop, typing 'how to learn JSL' in my web browser.

——————————

Learning JSL is more complicated than I originally thought. Hell, this was harder than learning the english language. I was thankful that texting and mobile communications existed because I decided to text Hinata a few minutes after my failed attempt to learn JSL.

Me: Dumbass, are you still up?

read at 11:57pm

Hinata: yea, but i'm with oikawa rn, can we talk later? :D btw there's no need to type so seriously all the time, kageyama!

read at 11:59pm

Me: Tch. Stay safe or whatever.

read at 12:00am

I turned off my phone and placed it on my nightstand. To be fair, it's a Friday night, so it's normal for teens to be going out and having a blast.

But why? Why am I so concerned about Hinata hanging out with Oikawa at this time of night?

I feel like I have a massive lump in my throat. I clear my throat in hopes of getting rid of this forbidden lump, but I fail miserably, busting into violent coughing fit.

I know Oikawa-san won't do anything horrible to him if he's that genuinely nice to him, but I can't help fearing something bad will happen to Hinata. I pose myself with the same question; why?

Why does my throat burn? Why does my stomach feel like it's going to combust?

Is this.. envy? No— that's pathetic.

I close my eyes, hoping I can strip my mind of these strange thoughts by going to sleep. Will it work?

Hinata's POV

I used to be so scared of The Great King, but I've honestly grown used to him. He treats me like a normal human being like Coach Ukai, but also accommodates by signing at a normal speed.

I dig my head out of my thoughts and Oikawa signs to me, "I had fun playing against you tonight. You do quite well for someone who's mute and mostly deaf."

I give him a bright smile and sign back to him, saying, "At least you don't assume I'm completely deaf, that's a relief."

He frowns at me and squeezes my hand in reassurance. He signs with his free hand to the best of his ability, "If you ever get down on yourself, just remember you aren't useless. Your team and I are always here for you."

I'm a bit stunned at his response, but it calms down my fast beating heart. I signed back in reply, "Thank you, that means a lot to me. Can you walk me home?"

He nods, but he doesn't let go of my hand. I direct him the best I can in sign language to my house and he seems to understand for the most part.

Out of the blue while we're walking to my house, he signs, "You're an amazing spiker, I hope I get to set for you someday. That being said, I also hope you get your voice back— I'm sure it'll sound wonderful."

Once again, I'm stunned, feeling my face heat at his compliment. In the midst of my thoughts, I ask myself,

What is this feeling? It's so sudden and new; I feel like there's a swarm of butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. It's only when I see him, though—

I felt Oikawa tap my shoulder and I didn't realize we were already standing on my doorstep. I bow my head in apology and he frantically shakes his head to indicate that there was no need for an apology.

He pulled me into a hug and I felt my face heat up again. He signed, "I had fun just chatting with you tonight, I hope we can do this again sometime."

I grin at him, signing and finishing our conversation with,

"Yeah, I definitely will, Oikawa-san."