N i n e

Kageyama's POV

I'm unsure of what I did wrong that day and it's been two weeks since then. Hinata ran away from me like I was some kind of monster, yet I listened to his tragic past, swearing that I wouldn't tell anyone else.

I still swear to that.

I know he'll see Oikawa again soon, I sigh in defeat at the thought of it. We've barely progressed as a duo, let alone our friendship itself. Here I am, seriously thinking that I did something to help him.

I feel awful.

Oikawa, he's all yours. I'm sorry I failed you miserably and I'm sorry that I couldn't be an outstanding caregiver as you. I know you're going to college soon to play professional volleyball, but I can't do this. With all of my heart, I hate to admit it.

I'm so sorry that I really can't do this.

Your move, Oikawa-san.

Hinata's POV

I'm terrified to approach Kageyama again, especially considering what happened at the park two weeks ago. Thankfully our second term has ended, so we're on winter break.

What's more is that I finally got hearing aids! They're supposed to make me hear a lot better than I do now, but I haven't exactly used them yet due to my mom being accustomed to sign when talking to me. On a different note—

Now that I think about it, I'd love to see Oikawa again, yet I don't know where his house is. I'm determined to find out, though.

I slip on my shoes and as I'm about to turn the doorknob, my mom signs, asking me where I'm going. So while I'm standing in the doorway, I sign in reply, "Just taking a stroll."

She ends the conversation by signing, "Be careful, a snowstorm is scheduled to hit our prefecture soon. Be home at least by seven p.m."

I give her a thumbs up and a small smile, shutting the door behind me as I walk out into the chilly atmosphere. I let out a sigh of relief, glad to be outside of my cooped house. I love my mom and sister, but it gets tiring staying inside all of the time.

I walk down the same route I take to go to school, making a couple of turns, some being right, and some being left. After thirty minutes in, I realize I don't have my phone in my pocket, so now I'm lost.

I look around frantically in hopes of backtracking, but my mind draws a blank. My mind jumps to many conclusions, but I can't decide on which one to follow through with.

I hear someone yell, "Hey, you!" I turn to see who this mysterious voice was and it was some random store manager— or at least that's what I guessed. He beckons me to draw near him and I lightly jog over to him.

"Listen, kid." I assumed when he said that, he didn't have a clue that I was mute or mostly deaf. Although, thanks to my trusty hearing aids, I could hear him much better than I probably could without them.

"You wanna get out of here as quickly as possible." The man continued and I used this opportunity to glance around the area. It looked pretty rundown and there were many murals of graffiti painted over wrecked, damaged brick walls aligning what seemed like a shopping mart.

"I'm being serious when I say this," I glance over back at him, giving him my full attention as he says that. "There's three teenage kids running around, beating down anyone that could be considered a disappointment to society. That's in their eyes, at least— so, please.. please be careful."

I nod and rummage through one of my jean pockets to find a scrap of notebook paper. I pull out a pen and scribble down a couple of words, handing the piece of paper to him. The paper read,

"Thank you for your kindness, sir! I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for them. P.S, I'm deaf, but I have hearing aids in right now, and I'm mute. I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply more effectively! :)"

He gives me a warm smile and pats my head, ending our 'conversation' with, "No problem, son. Come around when you can, but whenever the danger is gone."

I exit the store's property and I'm overwhelmed with happiness. I skipped down the way I came through originally, secretly hoping I'd stumble around Oikawa's house, but was rudely interrupted by my clumsy self running into something.

It wasn't like a lamppost or anything, but rather warm. I touch whatever is in front of me, looking up to see that it's someone's chest. I do my best not to freak out, but I dread the sight I see in front of me.

One teenager in front of me.

And two more surrounding me.