S i x

Kageyama's POV

I give the middle blocker a small nod. I sign honestly, "I don't know much about sign language, but I've been learning for a few months now. I'm slow. Haha."

I hear Hinata softly giggle and I resist smiling to obtain my serious persona. I easily give in, flashing him a genuine smile. He steps back and I realize how scary my smile must've been to him, so my head droops a bit.

Sugawara approaches us and puts a hand on Hinata's shoulder to grab his attention. Hinata looks up at our superior and Suga signs something to him that I don't understand, but the ginger looks back at me with a cheery grin. I sigh in relief and beckon my dumbass to practice with me, mainly to improve his spikes.

Wait—

My dumbass?

No— that couldn't be right. He isn't mine nor do I want to refer to him as mine.

I clear my head and set to him with complete precision. He swiftly spikes the ball over the net and it bounces over to the corner opposite of where he was positioned.

He beamed, giving me bright, huge eyes. I give him a small smile in return, but refused to reveal my teeth. I wish that shorty was able to hear the sound of the ball when it hits the other side of the court; from the other side of the net.

That would probably make him fall in love with volleyball even more.

"Nice kill!" I hear Tanaka and Nishinoya yell in sync, catching Hinata's attention and giving him a thumbs up. Hinata stares at the duo in awe, running over to the two, and embracing them in a tight hug.

"D-Dude, you're flattering me!" The buzz cut second year exclaimed in a flustered tone.

"Y-Yeah, n-no need to hug us, man!" The libero added to Tanaka's sentence and Hinata pulled away, clearly embarrassed.

"Hinata!" Suga shouted from across the gym, gesturing for the first year to advance to him. Hinata listened and trotted over to the third year setter, maintaining a casual conversation by signing to each other.

I couldn't help but feel a bit jealous. Hinata is always so friendly to everyone, yet he seems so avoidant around me.

Why?

We seemed to be on good terms now, but I still wanted to make sure he was okay. Especially after what Oikawa told me a few months ago.

"I wouldn't toy with a mute and nearly deaf person, Tobio-chan. You and I both know that's morally wrong. Instead, I'm giving him what he wants, because he's clearly been hurt in the past."

I've replayed that quote well more than a million times in my head. I'd get anxious whenever I'd think about it, but I've come to realize that's probably the truth, thus being the reason I always get shaken up thinking about it.

Has Oikawa disappeared because he wants me to take over his position? His position as Hinata's support beam?

I bet I'm doing such a horrible job, but it's time for me to change that. I'm going to be better for Hinata in every way possible.

Hinata's POV

I remember that after practice ended Kageyama wanted to talk to me. He was a couple of feet ahead of me and I hesitated to remind him, but I ended up reminding him anyway, mainly because I knew it was the right thing to do.

I tap his shoulder and sign once he turns around, "Did you want to tell me something?"

Kageyama rubs the back of his head, seeming nervous, and signs in reply, "Yes, I do."

I realize that's a present tense sentence, so I beckon for Kageyama to proceed. I mentally think I'm ready for it, but in reality, I feel beads of sweat steadily dripping down my face due to how nervous I am.

Kageyama seemed hesitant as well and signed, "Can you tell me about your past? Are you okay?"

I stiffen and attempt to put on a fake smile to deceive the setter, but he sees right past my facade. I feel my body go cold, the heat draining at a rapid pace.

"Hinata.." I lip-read Kageyama, he reaches out to touch me. I step back, terrified and shaking.

"I'm here for you."

That last sentence is when I stopped. Everything felt calm and I felt a sense of relief wash over me, I didn't know why.

Can I really trust him?