Part 9 : Paint the town blue

"I can't be with you anymore", a disinterested voice pierced straight into his heart.

"But why? Did I do something wrong?" His voice quivered in an attempt to catch hold of his erratic breath. Yet was giving in to the sobs of low holding strings, he was trying to weave but was already broken.

"I'm sorry", he added with his head hung low in guilt even though his heart knew he wasn't at fault. But still believed it would mend things a little.

"You know what it is. Why do you want to stay like this? It's just like a formality, I don't give you time and I don't talk to you that much then why are we doing this?" It again spoke stabbing his heart.

"Am I that bad?" He asked with his self-confidence hitting the ground this time and insecurities slowly travelling up his spine.

"Why are you complicating a simple thing, Ram? It was meant to end anyway!" Mercy was what the voice clearly lacked.

"Why are you talking like it's nothing and you are totally unaffected by it", he hoped for some assurance but was rather tossed to the shackles of his insecurity.

"Why do you want to cling on to this when it's not working at all? I mean why are we discussing this so much. I just want to think about myself, that's it. Just leave." The voice pricked the last nail to his heart's coffin.

His spine still shuddered under the shrieking voice which has yet not left him, but fortunately pulled him out from his daze.

His obsession with the past wanted to wander around more there but his heart knew it had to stop before he would crumble again into the shallowest depravity of his life.

His eyes traced the line of a thin paper peeping from his diary teasing him for some attention. A small curve formed on his lips as his hand gobbled it between his fingers.

"Hey", his fingers categorically pressed the keypad while his heart banged its wall harder in anticipation.

The phone buzzed in return alarming him quick. His eye scrunched in delight seeing the notification but then briskly shrank in dissatisfaction seeing the reply.

His fingers speedily typed back, "Priya, it's me", but regretted the next second, realising his foolish act.

---------------

Her phone pinged again making her twist her brows in discomfort. But reading her name, her eyes balls swapped outward in horror.

"Excuse me, who're you? Aren't you ashamed of texting a woman so late." Priya typed out disgustingly and hoping this time the person on the other end would stop.

But much to her dismay, the person didn't stop. Instead, her phone rang up in horror as she gasped seeing the number flashing on the screen.

"Who the hell are you and why are you calling me", she shouted at the caller.

"Hey, it's me..", the person tried intervening but was rather twirled with another scornful pinch.

She started yelling again, "Stop this 'it's me' song of yours. I'll report you to police if you..", but shushed the moment her ears heard something familiar.

"Shh. Ram", he abruptly mumbled succeeding in stopping her.

Her head was already spinning to put together some sense as she uttered nonchalantly, "What Ram?"

He was stunned hearing her response, "I'm your beach friend Ram. We went for coffee today, remember", he added.

"Shit", she murmured over the phone realising how madly she started shouting. It totally slipped off from her mind that she had shared her number with him today.