Chapter 6

Saiki thought about his discovery. He liked, not tolerated, liked someone. He sat with the usual distant look on his face, but inside he was thinking non-stop about the idea of having a girlfriend. Soon he realized though that he couldn't tell Teruhashi that he wanted to be with her, because he thought if he did she'd lose interest. After all, the only reason she was pestering him so much was because Saiki was the only boy who wasn't in love with her, and she felt that she failed as the Perfect Pretty Girl because of it. Fifteen minutes went by before the ER doctor was able to see Teruhashi, but Kusuo thought it had been hours. "That bastard" He thought, "He said the wait would only be five minutes. Teruhashi could've died! Well, honestly I'm pretty sure she's fine, but still. I got lucky, what if something worse happened? I'll just curse him on the way out".

"Teruhashi Kokomi?" Said the doctor, looking and sounding tired. Kusuo pulled Kokomi's arm around his shoulders and carried her to the hospital room. It didn't hurt him to do so since he put his limiters back in during the wait. "Ah, miss Kokomi, please lie her down on the bed." Saiki did as he was told, which included tasks such as getting the doctor his stethoscope and other medical gear. "Sorry to run ya around kid, but now I'm gunna have to ask you to leave. Only immediate family can stay in the room until I'm done inspecting her." Kusuo was annoyed, as he just did him lots of favors, but he didn't really want to be in the room anyway. He had always hated hospitals. Because of his powers he could remember being just a toddler, and those were the most awful years of his life. At least half of his memories had been driving to and from the hospital, often leaving in pain but never crying or telling anyone. He figured that his mind blocked out the memories of actually being in the doctor's office, but he was still a little traumatized.

He shook his head to clear his mind as he stepped out of the room, but whipped back around when he heard loud beeping coming from Teruhashi's heart monitor. "Code red! We need defibrillators NOW!" Saiki was shoved out of the way as two other doctors came in, one of them holding the equipment. Saiki left the room in a hurry because he didn't want to waste anyone's time by pushing him out, but he stayed by the wall to listen to what was happening. "Charging.. clear! Charging... clear!" Was all that he could understand. He put his back against the wall and slumped down, still paying attention to what they were doing to Teruhashi. His heart sank when they heard them all out of breath, not saying anything.