XXIX.

______

Nasir,

"So you're telling me that you killed Jaydon?"

I picked up and checked my phone to Nicki blowing up my phone with texts that came back to back. If only she knew what I was doing at this very moment.

"Yes." I responded simply to Cassie's question.

Cassie sat back in her seat while she stared deeply in my eyes. I tapped my foot on the hard concrete floor of the interrogation room. I looked away from Cassie's gaze and thought about everything I was doing. Taking the fall for Nicki meant that I was giving up everything. My freedom, my career and my family. This all seemed pretty bad, but deep down I felt like this was the right thing to do.

"What part don't you believe? You don't think I'm capable of killing a man?" I asked in a slick tone.

Cassie swiveled her tongue around her mouth to hold off on any thoughts she desperately wanted to belt out. When I had called Cassie and told her that I was ready to tell her the truth about Jaydon, she didn't waste another second and came here quick as possible. The camera that sat in my face off to the side was a clear indicator of how badly Cassie wanted me to rat on Nicki while being recorded.

"I think everyone is capable of doing something", Cassie pointed a finger at and smirked sarcastically. "But you didn't do this. You didn't kill Jaydon Cruise."

"But I did and I didn't have any help."

"Okay. What was your motive?" Cassie asked, going along with my words. She pulled out her notebook to jot down everything I said so I knew that my lie had to be sealed shut in order for this to look like a one man job when in actuality I was only the helper and not the killer.

"My girlfriend. He put his hands on her and threatened to kill her."

"How did you do it?"

"What do you mean how? I shot the nigga."

"Mr. Jones I understand you shot him, but my question is how? Without any details how am I supposed to believe that you committed this crime and not someone else?"

"I shot him. That's all there is to it."

"No that's not how it works."

I glanced over at the police officer that was standing off to the side of the interrogation room looking between both me and Cassie probably wondering who held the ball in their court.

"Take him into custody." Cassie said simply. I stood to my feet willingly and put my hands behind my back in order for the officer to brace them with handcuffs. I smiled at Cassie as she sent me sharp glares.

The officer opened the door and before he escorted me out Cassie tugged at my arm making me look back into her piercing green eyes.

"I hope for your sake she's worth it."

That's what Cassie didn't know though. I loved Onika. For her, all of this was worth it then being on the other side and seeing her get taken down by Cassie the vulture.

The whole car ride over here from the church I thought about the decision I was making and what it would mean once I confessed to a crime I didn't commit. I could lose my job and be disbarred. I would be locked away from my friends and family and most importantly, my darling Nicki.