34. | Detention

Dedicated to BethAmos

34.

detention

Detention in our school was completely different from how movies and books portrayed it to be.

In Maverick high, we couldn't use our phones, we couldn't do our homework, we couldn't interact with the other students and the accurate time spent outside when detention had already started was going to be given back to you as extra time.

I hadn't been to detention before, and from the looks on both Emery and Caelum's faces, it was their first time too. But, how did I know the rules of detention even if I hadn't been here before? The gossip in the hallways every morning remained the number one source of information.

On reaching the detention room, I muttered a quick prayer and sent a quick text to mum before turning to look at Caelum and Emery. Caelum disregarded my presence by entering into the room and making himself known, while Emery gave me a small nod, to which I curtly mirrored before walking into the room.

All eyes on me.

Literally.

I skimmed through the classroom with my eyes, realizing that more than half of the students were seniors. Ignoring the stares, I wiped my sweaty palm on my skirt and flew to the empty seat at the corner of the room. Emery was the last student to walk into the classroom and I was tempted to laugh at the expression on her face when she went to sit in the middle of the room.

"First things first," Mr. Smith, our Geography teacher started, moving away from his desk. "There will be no form of speaking, laughing, whispering, humming, or talking. If I hear any sound, I won't hesitate to detain all of you for another—"

"Mr. Smith?" a dark-haired girl called from the back.

"Yes?"

"Can I please go to the bathroom?" she asked politely.

"No," he said. He turned away from the girl. "You will not make any form of sound, and this is a proper punish—"

"Mr. Smith?" the girl called again and I hid the grin threatening to appear on my face. Mr. Smith hated it when people interrupted him. "May I please go to the bathroom?"

"No, Maya." He let out an exasperated sigh. "And if you 'oh so want to go to the bathroom,' however long you take in that bathroom, you will have to stay after detention and make that time up. Alone."

Maya slumped back in her seat with a huff.

Mr. Smith didn't care, though. He kept on ranting on and on about the rules of detention. I looked around the room once again and spotted an extremely bored looking Caelum glaring at the clock on the wall.

I still wanted to know the reason why he was going to start a fight with Cole, and why Emery was crying in the bathroom.

"Ms. McCready!" Mr. Smith yelled from where he stood.

I lifted my head to look at him. "Yes sir?"

"Tap your fingers on that desk one more time and I won't hesitate to keep you for an extra hour." He glared at me. I honestly didn't know I was tapping my fingers on the table but I nodded, regardless.

Mr. Smith went back to sit and my train of thoughts continued.

How many flying Pigs could fill this detention room?

Why did Elephants have big butts? And if they sat on a human, how much time did that person have left?

If Gigi never met Zayn, would I ever have a chance with him?