Chapter 12- Eidolon

The steppe was covered in thick fog as the group crossed the bridge at the south. With barely any water or food to last the whole day, everyone thought of finding at least a fruit-bearing tree or a campsite. Seokjin had prepared a bottle of antiseptic tea and ointment from the herbs that was in the cabin, and a couple of anti-inflammatory chews for Jungkook. Namjoon's wounds begun to bleed again but he didn't pay attention to it anymore. It's a good thing that Yoongi was able to bring some of the emergency equipment from one of the cabins they came across in the west.

"Jungkook, how will we find out where to go?" Jimin turned to Jungkook. He saw how pale he was and his fingers were swollen red due to the cold. "Are you feeling well?" he cupped Jungkook's hands into his, and breathed warm air into it. "Here, wear this. This should help a bit." Jimin's hands were small, just about a little shorter than Jungkook's, but the mitten has enough room for Jungkook's hands to fit in. "It's okay. I'm used to the cold. And my fleece jacket have pockets. This should be enough." he smiled sweetly.

Jungkook kept his doe eyes open. Barely able to open his mouth, he spoke, stuttering. "Th-th-there should be a metal hinged door near the dock. We should find it before the wa-wa-water rises." Hoseok heard it clear. His eyes scanned the area, but the fog blocked his sight. "Are we somehow near?" he quired. Jungkook shook his head. They continued walking.

Judging by the time they've spent on walking, it might be past noontime already. Yoongi crouched down in one knee and touched the floor. The soil was moist and muddy, but the mud had flaky portion in it. He put it closer to his nose and sniffed it, it smelled like chlorinated water. "This fog is artificial. We need to be careful." he murmured in his low voice. They continued to walk with utmost caution. Not too long, they have passed the bridge. The atmosphere suddenly felt heavier. "Are we somehow near?" Hoseok hesitatingly asked. "This eerie feeling... It seemed like, every time we passed a certain area, the atmosphere changes." he commented. "It's because this entire place is a controlled environment." Jungkook interrupted. "What do you mean controlled?" Seokjin felt confused.

Jungkook took his hand out of his pocket and pointed southwest. "We did not escape. You tried to run away from it. But no one can escape. This will only end if someone survives this training and makes it back to the Parade Deck alive."

"Jimin, can you check if he's alright? He seemed delirious." Namjoon scoffed.

"No, Namjoon. He sounded the most sane of all the times he spoke since we arrived here." Seokjin retaliated. He walked towards Jungkook and softly held Jungkook's face as he stared deep in his eyes. He's conscious and he knew what he was saying. "Mom, Taehyung is here." He quickly looked behind him. But he can see noone. "Darling, no one else is here..." he smiled drily, he is probably starting to lose it again. "Jimin, I think the serum is starting to wear off... Do you still --"

Seokjin was cut off as Jungkook's finger pointed to the ground. "Can't you see him mom? Can't you see his shadow? It's right beside you." Seokjin felt a cold touch in his back as his eyes slowly followed Jungkook's finger. Despite the fog and faint shadows casted like a smoke, Seokjin could make something out of the thing that Jungkook was pointing at. Beside his shoe prints on the mud is a set of footprints which no one in the group should have. And on those footprints, a cast of shadow appeared. It was clearly a figure of a human, but it seemed to have a pair of wings?

And for the first time, they all heard his voice. "Hyung, can you see me now? Tell me, can you hear me?"

The familiar voice sent shivers. Jimin's eyes started to fill with tiny beads of tears. "Vante? Is that really you?"

Jungkook ran to him, and jumped to hug the unseen figure. And just as he did, the fog cleared as if it was vacuumed elsewhere. The sight came clear and they finally could see place was filled with melting snow. The concrete-tiled floor was dry, with just a little splat of water here and there. They could clearly see the ocean water ahead and the bleak of light from the horizon. "You are all safe now," Taehyung assured. "Now, all that's left is to cross the border. Hurry up, before the sun sets."

Jimin quickly grabbed Taehyung's hand "Aren't you coming with us? You saved us once again. We should leave this place together."

There was a sorrowful smile and momentary pause. "I can't..." Taehyung sighed. "But why, Vante?" Jimin started to cry. "Because... I am no longer alive. I cannot stay with you."

Taehyung's soft hands still feels warm. He touched Jimin's cheeks tenderly and wiped his tears. "You can only see me for a brief moment whenever you are close to death. I would always come to save you, and when I know you are safe... I'd be gone again. Don't cry, Jimin. I have always loved you despite our differences. I understood how you only wanted to be loved. And I will forever be thankful how you showered Jungkook with all the love that I have failed to give him when I was still alive." Taehyung kiss Jimin on the forehead one last time. "Jin-hyung, please take care of yourself. Randa-hyung, I'm glad we've seen each other again."
Namjoon nodded, "So... it was you who saved me first even before Hoseok found me? Thanks, buddy. I owe you one."
"Are you the one who brought all those herbs at the cabin? I remember they weren't there before. I just thought maybe Jungkook found them while he was playing outside." Seokjin was finally starting to connect the dots. Taehyung showed his boxy smile again.
"I don't want to bring this up because no one knew... But, did you save me back when I tried--" Taehyung placed his finger on Yoongi's lips. "Don't you ever try doing that again, hyung. Stop blaming yourself over things that was beyond our control."

Finally, his wings spread out. "I have to go... You should, too". Jimin clenched onto Taehyung's hands but they were slipping away. "No!! Stop! Vante, don't leave! Don't leave us again. Please!" He cried his heart out. Jungkook hugged him from behind, stopping Jimin from clutching onto Taehyung's hands. "We'll see each other again." he whispered in the air, as he slowly fade away like cherry blossom petals on a spring day. Jimin dropped to his knees, his hands still stretched out reaching out to Taehyung as he faded away.

Soon, they heard a loud, grinding noise from beneath the ground. Hoseok looked to the direction where the sound was coming from and noticed they were already at the dock. there were abandoned cars, trailers, yacht and a few smaller ships near them. "The way to the tunnel is opening! Let's hurry." he yelled.

Jimin stood up, his eyes were still fixed on the distant sky. He smiled through his tears and uttered "I'll see you again, my soulmate."